Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Thinking about coil overs

City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hatchback, w/ manual
I am thinking about replacing my coil overs on my fiesta, I wanted to hear what you all have to say. how has it gone for people who have done it, any afterthoughts? brands used? etc.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have had them in the recent past. I dont think that they are practical for a street driven car. Especially if that cars chassis and underbody is not kept very clean. Dirt, mud and road grime will soon make them non adjustable. I am not saying that they are bad. It's just that coil over suspension is very maintenance intensive. And is best suited for a track toy because the only purpose of the coil over design is to allow the car to be scaled and corner weights adjusted for best handling. Using coil over suspension to just crank the car down for an extremely low ride height is not how it was intended to be used.
Koni and Bilstein both offer dampers that are wonderful bolt on upgrades that while not cheap are still less than half the cost of a set of coil overs.

OP
C
City
lawrenceville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hatchback, w/ manual
Thread Starter #4
i guess i probably should have thought to say why I want coil-overs, I want them because my current suspension feels very soft compared to my old fiesta, I do not plan to lower my car, if the set I get allows me to I might lower it by no more than half an inch. I am looking for better handling and a stiffer ride.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
If you want a firmer ride then you should check out the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts. They will work with stock coils or lowering coils. High quality plus good warranty and improves the handling. And way less money and hassle than coilovers
If you make careful choices , you can have a decently smooth ride and great handling. Some polyurethane sway bar bushings and adjustable end links in front and adding a rear anti sway bar on the rear axle beam will get you sharp handling with virtually no ride quality degradation.

Last edited: