Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Think my radio bit the dust.

City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
So ive had been having a issue with the speakers popping. And then radio goes out. Restart car radio works then after while same thing. Soooo being the guy I am Im popping door panels and checking speakers. Ruled those out so I keep digging ans pop center console out and radio was blazing hot. I think im in for a new head unit. I did just have my battery checked it tested bad. Got a new one and I'll put radio back to see if that was a cause.....never had issue with headlights or starting car. I did have a line out converter installed but removed and also never solved issue.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I know from reading these forums that the electrical systems in this car are very sensitive. Just because it's cranking doesn't mean everything's getting proper current. I'm willing to bet that just replacing the battery will fix it.

OP
Calebdrums1985
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Thread Starter #3
I know from reading these forums that the electrical systems in this car are very sensitive. Just because it's cranking doesn't mean everything's getting proper current. I'm willing to bet that just replacing the battery will fix it.
Battery did not fix issue.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
May not be a bad idea to grab a Voltmeter and monitor the electrical for a while - looking for spikes and other quirks.

I've had my radio shut down on hot days with the car parked - being left in the sun.

Park out in the mall parking lots or something similar, walk in - shop - back to the car - might get 5 minutes of playing tunes and MP3's off of it, until the radio shuts itself down - even makes sync go blank - kinda scary but engine will run just fine.

If I run AC it gives me 15 minutes but when it's 90+ with no wind and you're in stop start traffic - yeah dash does get toasty - so you can imagine the radios baking under that Sync display.

OP
Calebdrums1985
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Thread Starter #5
May not be a bad idea to grab a Voltmeter and monitor the electrical for a while - looking for spikes and other quirks.

I've had my radio shut down on hot days with the car parked - being left in the sun.

Park out in the mall parking lots or something similar, walk in - shop - back to the car - might get 5 minutes of playing tunes and MP3's off of it, until the radio shuts itself down - even makes sync go blank - kinda scary but engine will run just fine.

If I run AC it gives me 15 minutes but when it's 90+ with no wind and you're in stop start traffic - yeah dash does get toasty - so you can imagine the radios baking under that Sync display.
Its been relatively cool. Basicly at this point I can turn the power on and I just get the ford logo on the screen. Im almost having aftermarket speakers, amp and sub did it in. I also had a LOC installed and tapped the rear speakers. Ive since remived.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hey!

While I got you here, had a similar problem just a few days ago after I got it back from a quick oil change and found my "DATE" on the FORD LOGO wake-up screen is reset back to a 01.01.2018 - this was from a Dealership and BT as far as I know was off.

Radio is working ok, so far, so is the Music files...

I got yelled at by the dealership for the last oil change because I took a pic of where I was at in the dealership - got a talking to by a manager saying they don't want pics taken - asking why - they said it's to protect our workers, I told then I have to protect myself from my Wifes wrath - if she doesn't know the status of the vehicle - she's going to be screaming at them over the phone if I don't show her I'm there.

I hate it when you have to leave the car with them to do the service. Have to stay out of the vehicle and wait in a room - even at the Quik side- they don't want you to be in jeopardy of injury or hurt, which if it's that dangerous - well, I guess we should go somewhere where we can see what they do. Got to convince my wife it's safe for me to do this at home - she just wants them to do the service - but seeing a "DATE RESET" and been several days before - with no change in DATE incrementing going to the next day - may mean something more with Sync is going on.

OP
Calebdrums1985
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Thread Starter #7
Hey!

While I got you here, had a similar problem just a few days ago after I got it back from a quick oil change and found my "DATE" on the FORD LOGO wake-up screen is reset back to a 01.01.2018 - this was from a Dealership and BT as far as I know was off.

I got yelled at by the dealership for the last oil change because I took a pic of where I was at in the dealership - got a talking to by a manager saying they don't want pics taken - asking why - they said it's to protect our workers, I told then I have to protect myself from my Wifes wrath - if she doesn't know the status of the vehicle - she's going to be screaming at them over the phone if I don't show her I'm there.

I hate it when you have to leave the car with them to do the service. Have to stay out of the vehicle and wait in a room - even at the Quik side- they don't want you to be in jeopardy of injury or hurt, which if it's that dangerous - well, I guess we should go somewhere where we can see what they do. Got to convince my wife it's safe for me to do this at home - she just wants them to do the service - but seeing a "DATE RESET" and been several days before - with no change in DATE incrementing going to the next day - may mean something more with Sync is going on.
Ive read in other places and hell theres even evidence on youtube were some euro boy shows basicly what mines doing now. Well im assuming your vehicle is still under warrenty. Maybe try other dealerships? Most garages operate in the same manner it is a liablity for you and the workers. If you need to record conversatiions or interactions we live in the video era conceal the camera

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Let us know how you come out, there's a thread or two about someone getting a DIN replacement for their SYNC keyboard - would love to throw my sync out the window so I could just drive. I've got several radios from yesteryears that would do a better job in the Ford than the original "Hung-up on heat" heads-up (WhatsZZZup) display with tons of buttons for your kids to play with, because they're too cheap to own knobs - radio/USB/ CD player.

My warranty been up for a while so nothing new here - just looking at $$$ in either trade off or trade in for something even less - which is what I really want - an economical car that can be hacked to suit your needs - by doing so, makes it harder for the next guy to even want to steal it - let alone know how to use it, I find it an effective approach to deterring others that - if they are that desperate - not here - they will have to go elsewhere.

Last year had several problems with TRAC and Manual - not working together - could not / can not - even to this day, get TRAC Control to turn off while driving. In the SYNC vehicle I've got, no TRAC button on the dash - all thru the SYNC menu and it's navigation headaches.

The Radio, Sync and your Vehicle have to be at a Complete Stop in order to communicate. Wonderful - keep a shovel and tow straps handy - you're gonna' need it.

It's frustrating in winters, due to the fact the Trac-Control method the vehicle is programmed with, can put you in the ditch and keep you there - you don't have access to Syncs' menu while driving - any moving of the vehicle - it locks you out except for the music. Comforting or not, at least while you're skidding into the ditch you can listen to Highway To Hell doing so,

So yeah, hidden camera and keep your stuff with you - or leave it at home - sort of approach, seems to be the new norm. Wife though, just doesn't get it.

City
Gt
State
Non-US
Country
Guatemala
What I Drive
2014 ford fiesta
Hey!

maybe you are getting trouble with the gps antenna, there's no way to set the date of the system manually, the info to set the date comes from the gps

OP
Calebdrums1985
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Thread Starter #10
I'll go with a new head unit anyways. Id rather not have a line out converter. With head unit the little screen on top I think wont work. Which has date. Time. Ect. But that is also true that traction control is controled with that screen.

OP
Calebdrums1985
City
Saint peters
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta s hatchback
Thread Starter #11
Wait that's not true.. My mistake. That will still remain and work. Theres a circet board on the back side of the trim plate that has the power button and lock and hazards. The fit kit has to have the oem board from the old one installed on the new..new radio will also fit in the new fit kit.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hey!