Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Sync HELP

menusetc

City
lafayette
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 fiesta
2017 fiesta - with this stereo. My problem is that when I press the media button - the screen momentarily flashes a sync folder then back to fm. phone buttons do not work - cannot access setup menu to reset anything. Also the aux cord is not functional. Have pulled fuses and battery. Any ideas would be helpful. TIA

Attachments

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Hi, I just joined the forum. I realize that this response is almost a year late, but this posting describes the same problem I'm having, so maybe someone could help. After the usual troubleshooting (tried factory reset but can't access the menu for that, then pulled fuse, disconnect battery) ended up taking it to the dealer. They said the APIM module needs to be replaced and wanted $1000 bucks for that. I found the module in the car under the glove box and pulled it out (picture attached). The part number on this module is GE8T-14D212-AD and I found one on EBAY, but the last letter is a "C", not a "D" i.e. GE8T-14D212-AC, all the other numbers match. Also, the EBAY posting says that it's for a Ford Ranger not a Fiesta. I'm sure Ford would use the same module on many of its cars and that the letter difference in the part number is probably just a revision number, but I thought I would ask the Forum for opinions as to compatibility. Thanks for your response.

Attachments

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
I just found out that the part on EBAY is from a 2016 Fiesta. Not sure if it will work on a 2017, but for $50 bucks maybe I'll take the chance.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I believe Fiestas got the Sync3 in 2016. It should be compatible.

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Tnx, I did the following. Called the dealer and asked for the FORD part number for a 2017 Fiesta which is GE8Z14D212B. I asked if that would work on a 2016 Fiesta and they said that part will work on years 2016-2018. Since the Ebay part came from a 2016 it should work on the 2017. I'll update this posting once I get the part and try it out.

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
I got my Sync module and installed it. Everything works, EXCEPT voice recognition. Here are the details:

-Removed the F10 fuse, installed the unit then put the fuse back in.
-After a bit of "hesitation" the SYNC screen came on looking for the phone of the previous owner
-I added my phone and am able to play music through Bluetooth. I can receive calls and answer them using the buttons on the steering wheel
-When I try to make a call using voice recognition, I can hear the message prompting me to make a call, but when I say "Dial...." it doesn't do anything, just sits there "listening"
-I can make calls using the keys on the dashboard, and the audio comes through Bluetooth (in and out)
-I tried factory reset, set the language, but not sure that actually did anything, because my phone was still there....and voice recognition still didn't work.

So it could be that the difference between the "C" and the "D" in the part number is a different software version. I'm going to have to play with this a bit more. Anyway I'm happy with what I got at a fraction of the cost that the dealer was going to charge me.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Did you get the unit consoled together with a Mic and Speaker? Speaker and Mic units are SEPARATE. But loom together

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Thanks for your reply, but not sure what you mean. I only got the sync unit itself (as shown in the picture above). It connects to the harness with a large 54 pin connector and a separate USB plug. The mic and speakers are already in the car and they work ok. When I place a call from my phone I can hear the other end and they can hear me. It's just the voice commands that do not work.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok - that's what I needed to know. You did have the Mic and speaker already in.

The only drawback is the level of volume - the SYNC operator, needs to hear. I am not sure if there is a physical rheostat adjustment to allow the SYNC voice command module to bring up your voice volume so SYNC can even process the commands. (Think of this like a Radio Show, they have you sit in front of a Microphone and they adjust levels so the listeners hear the room as a natural flowing conversation - everyone is on equal volume)

Is there a way to verify it's even hearing you? I'm sorry I don't know how to get to that menu, I'd love to know - they don't give Ford Owners much information to work with in setting up SYNC - they simply presume either it hears and process or it is broken and it don't (or Won't).

It may be that SYNC needs to have it's ability to "Monitor" for voice commands - checked. If you can gain access to the modules' listening side and make sensitivity adjustments to that level - so it can hear what you're asking, you may be onto something.

I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot - the situation you're in now, was similar with mine. I asked a lot of questions - including ones here in this thread - they, (Dealers) do not have answers to - I got so frustrated with mine, I leave it off and just use the phone as per DOT guidelines.

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
I think you may be right, could be that the input volume is too low. When I try to talk to it, it just sits there with the message "Listening...." on the screen. If there is a mic sensitivity adjustment it has to be through a menu item or combination of steering wheel buttons. I opened up the old SYNC and there is no physical adjustment that can be made on it.

Moni

City
Ordaea
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
What I Drive
FORD FIESTA 2016
2017 fiesta - with this stereo. My problem is that when I press the media button - the screen momentarily flashes a sync folder then back to fm. phone buttons do not work - cannot access setup menu to reset anything. Also the aux cord is not functional. Have pulled fuses and battery. Any ideas would be helpful. TIA
I have the same problem as you.
I am from Romania and I have been waiting for a year to receive the module, at $ 1500, it hasn't arrived yet
My module is GE8T-14D212-AC (exactly what you got)
Now I also ordered it from Ebay for $ 100, it arrives in January 2021
Did you install the module, or were you at the service?
Did it take a tester to put it back on?
Wait for response.
Thank you

Last edited:

Carm

City
Cobourg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
Hi there. I replaced the module myself. It did not require any special equipment. I would recommend removing the fuse before plugging it in. When I first turned it on, it behaved as though the problem was still there (the screen momentarily flashes a sync folder then back to fm), but this only happened once, then it started to work, it was probably initializing. If it's a used module it will probably still have the previous owner phone in its memory and it will start looking for it. I just paired my phone and made it the default priority. As in my previous posting, everything works ok, but I couldn't get voice commands to work. Unfortunately my daughter now has the car, so it will be a while before I can play with it a bit more. Hope this helps.

Moni

City
Ordaea
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
What I Drive
FORD FIESTA 2016
Hi there. I replaced the module myself. It did not require any special equipment. I would recommend removing the fuse before plugging it in. When I first turned it on, it behaved as though the problem was still there (the screen momentarily flashes a sync folder then back to fm), but this only happened once, then it started to work, it was probably initializing. If it's a used module it will probably still have the previous owner phone in its memory and it will start looking for it. I just paired my phone and made it the default priority. As in my previous posting, everything works ok, but I couldn't get voice commands to work. Unfortunately my daughter now has the car, so it will be a while before I can play with it a bit more. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for the help!

bashmore

City
Davis
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2016
Thanks guys. Above describes exactly the issue I'm having with my daughter's Ford Fiesta 2016 (iPhone not SYNCing). I too had it diagnosed by Ford today (for $173) and received an estimate of $950+ to have it fixed with new part GE8T-14D212-AC
So now I'm looking to find such a part - I don't see any on eBay right now. New part alone is $595.

bashmore

City
Davis
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2016

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Let's see some pics & an introduction?.....since you are new here.

CHB

City
Somewhere
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta SE
Did anyone ever try this out with the GE8T-14D212-AA?