Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Steering shaft u-joint clunk .....

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Has anyone else had it happen again after the original one was replaced? I just noticed that it was starting to make that distinct noise when I gave the steering wheel a rapid input.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #3
Yes. That is the condition I am experiencing, again. Are you also about to replace that u-joint on the steering shaft?

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
Yes. That is the condition I am experiencing, again. Are you also about to replace that u-joint on the steering shaft?
Scotman, is this u-joint shared on the ST as well or was it just the earlier Fiestas?

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #6
The TSB I had done in mid 2013 was #11-10-28. I'm sure it is long expired. This looks pretty easy to get out. I will just order the shaft and joint assembly.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #8
I don't think that there is any difference. I will find out when I order the new part. My impression is that the big difference between the ST and basic Fiesta steering systems are the knuckles and the tuning of the EPAS level of effort. Last night ,I went under the instrument panel of the 2011 SE hatchback that I'm turning into a jolly. It still has a date imprinted tag on it's steering shaft of 6/14/10. So it is original to the car. I got no noise from it in the short drive I had before I began knocking it apart.