Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Knocking noise when turning left

Alan41

City
East Sussex
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford fiesta zetec s 1.6 petrol
Hi ive recently brought a ford fiesta zetec s 1.6 petrol. Its a great car to drive, however recently I've noticed a knocking/clunking noise when turning left, any ideas what the fault could be?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
How is the handling?

When you steer, do you notice more of what I'd call a "Heavy-feel" to a direction of turn - to the left or right...this is noticeable on smaller corrections than big turns but both methods of steer - if you need more effort to on direction versus another.

As you drive, how is the steering feel when you hit bumps. Some obviously pull to their direction of impact but other "bumps" tend to shake or vibrate the steering wheel and it tends to wander - sometimes in a particular direction.

The above are signs of an alignment problem - this would also help to diagnose that clunking you experience.

This may mean the lower arm or steering knuckle, or even the upper tower of the strut has problems.

Hard to isolate without some more input to help you narrow this down.

OP
A

Alan41

City
East Sussex
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford fiesta zetec s 1.6 petrol
Thread Starter #4
Hi its a knocking feeling but could also be described as a clunky feeling when turning left round corners. Dont feel it when driving at normal speed. Someone has said it could be cv joints or steering column.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, if the "straight ahead" driving seems ok, the klunking of a CV joint would be more of a "Clicking" as the runout of the spyder (best word) and the groves it uses to transfer power from the shaft to the axle are worn or wearing - the noise would be a consistent clicking or whir not just a klunk.

The Klunk if only on sharper turns or thru the turn in light of bumps- is also transferring weight - to the right side CV joint or even the struts upper mount could dislodge and now floats above the seat it is supposed to stay in. So as you turn to the left, the right side nosedives and then the struts' own shock moves but at a given rate - which may not be as fast as the rate of dive - so the struts' damper in the mount itself rises up moving along with the struts shock shaft and making that noise.

But the damage may be on the right side, you seem to hear it from the left because of the extra cross members for steering, brakes and dash are all closer to you - and this noise is this strike (your klunk) being transferred into the metal bracketing, by proximity - you feel and hear that vibration.

So again, the klunk may mean many things.

But if you feel the klunk, by vibration alone - is from the left, then it may mean more of a failure in either spring, strut or knuckle or control arm - even tie rod end.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would be looking at the condition of the cv joints and tie rod ends. Also run the flat of your hand across the face of the tire treads. Does it feel cupped or rough in comparison to the other tire? Worn or damaged steering components can be masked from discovery until the tire that has been acting.as the whipping boy for the issue finally gives up the last bit of tread material.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
If you have only a left turn (or right turn), near-steering-look or full-lock clunking it's more than likely a CV joint. You feel tierods and other bushings more in the general driving and they creep up...a little sound here, a little sound there, then getting more noticeable. A CV can simply break the cage or scrape a ball and then suddenly become a problem. Usually, the CV boot broke a long time ago and you lost most or all of the grease and it failed. If you need to fix it, IMO, don't bother with just fixing that joint; buy a new complete shaft. It's only a little more money and way simpler to replace the whole thing than take it out, strip it down, pack a new joint, reinstall.