Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

IB-5 manual transaxle filler plug removal issues...

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have been doing some maintenance on my 2011. In the course of replacing the drive axle seals I couldn't get the filler plug out of it's bung.
It's an interference fit type of plug with a simple O ring seal.
I had not pulled out this plug since I replaced the right drive axle seal in early 2013. Evidently that was long enough ago for it to seize in place.
When I went to pull it out the molded in plastic "grab tang" just snapped off.
So much for the quick and easy top up of transaxle fluid!
I will post some pictures of how much fun it was to resolve.
The first image is the original plug in place. IMG_20200723_112236.jpg .
The second one is the new filler plug. I had to remove the Battery and tray as well as the ECM attached to the tray.

Attachments

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #2
In order to get the angle needed to remove the old plug, I ended up having to take the wiper arms and cowling off to get some more room. I didn't have to remove the wiper transmission as it is bolted up high and not in the way
First image is the wiper cowling.
Second one is the much improved view of the transaxle filler hole.
Third one is the application of anti-sieze onto the new plug.
Last one is the old plug in hand. I almost cried with joy when I got this f#$@&'n thing out in one piece! The idea of having a chunk of it drop into the case was a big fear.

Attachments

Last edited: