Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

How much more power can I make?

Ethan

City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Hello all,
I have a 1.1L Mk8 2017 Fiesta that has a standard zetec engine. As it doesn't have a turbo, there doesn't seem to be much I can do in terms of performance upgrades.
Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do (that won't cost an arm and a leg) to make my engine produce more power?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
That engine isn't sold in the Americas, so I can't tell you anything about it. You can ask around on the UK Fiesta forums, but I doubt there is much if anything you can do to make any more power. Just enjoy the excellent fuel economy, keep your driving record clean, and save up for something faster.

vpro0

City
Ivano-Frankivsk
State
Non-US
Country
Ukraine
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta 1.4
It doesn't make sense to try to do something with a small naturally aspirated engine.
Best performance upgrade for the money is, by far, a set of nice tires (I really enjoy my Uniroyal Rainsport 3). Maybe a suspension upgrade, like my Eibach pro kit, as well, if you are willing to live with a stiffer ride

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Lightweight wheels or at least wheels that are not beyond 16 inch diameter. And also just not allowing lots of assorted junk to accumulate in the car, adding weight. All that helps! Diligence in keeping the air filter element and it's box clean doesn't hurt anything either.
I have to admit that I am addicted to very lightweight wheels. What they lack in "trendyness" they more than make up in improved handling!

OP
Ethan

Ethan

City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #5
Lightweight wheels or at least wheels that are not beyond 16 inch diameter. And also just not allowing lots of assorted junk to accumulate in the car, adding weight. All that helps! Diligence in keeping the air filter element and it's box clean doesn't hurt anything either.
I have to admit that I am addicted to very lightweight wheels. What they lack in "trendyness" they more than make up in improved handling!
Fair enough, everyone sems to be talking about weight reduction, it's a shame I can't improve performance in a more conventient way.

OP
Ethan

Ethan

City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #6
It doesn't make sense to try to do something with a small naturally aspirated engine.
Best performance upgrade for the money is, by far, a set of nice tires (I really enjoy my Uniroyal Rainsport 3). Maybe a suspension upgrade, like my Eibach pro kit, as well, if you are willing to live with a stiffer ride
Yeah, perhaps you have a point. Is there a way I can make the engine a forced induction without costing me a pretty penny? I will eventually make it look faster but I actually want it to be legitimately faster.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Yeah, perhaps you have a point. Is there a way I can make the engine a forced induction without costing me a pretty penny? I will eventually make it look faster but I actually want it to be legitimately faster.
I think you're out of luck. I doubt anyone makes a kit for it. The turbo engines get all the tuning love. If you want a turbo, you need an engine that's built to handle the extra stress it puts on it. Just get a car that comes with a turbo: the 1.0 or the ST. Cheaper and more durable in the long run.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue

The displacement sweet spot seems to be two liters. In the states, we have had four cylinder engines with 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7 liters. But, they were usually offered in larger passenger cars and were not performance oriented engines. Those engines also were not double overhead cam designs. So there was very little incentive for enthusiasts to even attempt upgrades.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The advice i give people in America regarding how to improve the performance of a basic Fiesta applies here too. Trade the car for a more powerful car! Within reason, the cost of stepping into a used Fiesta ST or Focus ST is not a difficult trick. The cost of maintenance and insurance won't be immediately painful unless you simply lack any self control or common sense.
But, you seem like a practical fellow!

OP
Ethan

Ethan

City
Liverpool
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #10
The advice i give people in America regarding how to improve the performance of a basic Fiesta applies here too. Trade the car for a more powerful car! Within reason, the cost of stepping into a used Fiesta ST or Focus ST is not a difficult trick. The cost of maintenance and insurance won't be immediately painful unless you simply lack any self control or common sense.
But, you seem like a practical fellow!
Yeah, fair enough. I think as this is my first car and one that I haven't even gotten the license to drive yet I'll hold back on the performance mods. The issue is purely due to insurance and so I think I'll have to at least drive this car for the next two years once I have passed my driving test at the end of April. I'm going to still look for ways to at least make the car feel sportier or look sportier regardless as I have nothing better to do with this pandemic haha but that you for the advice.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Ok. Just keep in mind that the "sportier look" upgrades you choose to make may very well not be found desirable to the next owner!
Some changes have fairly wide appeal to buyers. Cargo organization items, window tints, appearance protection items like all season floor mats, door edge and body side moldings and wheel splash guards are almost universally liked.
Hot pink steering wheel covers, extremely outlandish stripes or graphics, boot lids covered in decals that declare your impassioned support for saving the whales and ending coal fired power plants are examples of things that might cause a potential buyer to bypass consideration of any vehicle. A truly filthy little car is also a huge negative.