Fusion Hybrid Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum 2014 FUSION HYBRID MOTOR OVER TEMPERATURE, NOW CAR WON'T MOVE. WHERE TO START?? PLEASE HELP!!

Donaldj79

City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fusion Hybrid
My Dad has a 2014 Fusion Hybrid with over 200k miles. Over the Summer, he kept getting the message "Motor Over Temperature." He would pull over let the car cool and begin driving it. He took it to a Ford Dealership for a diagnostic and they printed out the Codes and did a Recall and gave him the car back without charging him. We figured out how to read the temperature gauge and had another mechanic loook at the car. No leaks. No coolant loss. The gasoline motor was not overheating, but it was the hybrid system. I suggested my Dad by a Coolant Pump (although there was no code) in hopes that would solve his problem.

He continued to drive his car against my better judgement. The last time he drove it, he said that the car made a loud rumbling sounds and it would barely move down the street. The battery ran down and when we tried to restart it, the gasoline motor will not engage. The car will start and say "Ready" on the dash and it will move a few feet if that. Immediately the dash will say "Stop Immediately." Usually the gasoline motor starts shortly after moving. Now it doesnt engage at all.

What part(s) could he have damaged by overheating the car so much?? Where do we start to get the car fixed?

Here are the 6 codes we pulled up:
P1A0C-Hybrid Power Control Module
P0A92-71-Hybrid Generator Performance-Actuator Stuck
P0A3C-Drive Motor A Inverter Over Temperature
P2531-Ignition Switch Run Circuit Low
U0412-Invalid Data Received from Battery Energy
U0121-Lost Communication with ABS Module

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
In these cases...Sigh...better judgment prevails - usually after the mess has been made.

The vehicle having over 200K - has any service been done to the brakes?

It may be more of a drivetrain issue - a seized bearing or failed brakes (see the ABS error?) or shorted battery in the bank of batteries that now poses more of a fire risk than anything else - caused by the system seeing a huge demand for current - cannot supply the charging demand asked on it. And the motors can't turn without power to assist the Gas-powered side of the car - let alone recharge the battery bank used to assist the electric motors for that assist.

The Batteries themselves may need to be replaced - the "inverter" on Motor A is a strong clue as to conditions with battery but to cause the drive issue - it is possible the Drive train, that may have a bearing seized on you - possibly due to overheated brakes or a failed CV axle and bearing combination the motor cannot turn against. A failed communication with the ABS system may mean a failed sensor or simply not enough power from the charging system to keep the ABS system "alive" so it powers down and sends a DTC code.