Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

DURTY Fiesta Build

City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Black 2011 Ford Fiesta SE
I've been lurking through Fiesta forums for a few years now but have never posted anything so I'm deciding to show off my build here.
It's an SE so I'm not doing anything crazy like some other people on this forum because I know its limits.

2011 Black Ford Fiesta Hatch

Current Modifications:
J2 Engineering Cat-Back Exhaust (Video)
K&N Cold Air Intake
Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors
Two 12 Inch Subwoofers (Video)
Ceramic Tint
Enkei White Mesh Wheels (Haven't put them on yet)

Originally had some cheap Chinese air intake (image with red pipe) that I cut my own MAF sensor hole into. Engine lights came on and caused a misfire. Current one has been working perfectly.

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors
How are these doing for you?

Curious to know of the type (composition) of pads you use with these...

OP
durtybubble
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
How are these doing for you?

Curious to know of the type (composition) of pads you use with these...
i just use the regular duralast ceramic pads they seem to do pretty well

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I wish you well on those rotors - was wondering how you felt; if any, changes from the stock plain flat OEM to these newer slotted if there were any improvements or noticeable braking control changes (better or worse).

A rear seat delete for the subwoofers - woof... This 'ought to be a fun thread to watch evolve.

Saw in one of the photos the "Skar" buss feeder and holder - looks sturdy enough - but does it need to be enclosed or can it run open? (unprotected) I know you don't have the wiring or the grommet in for that connection yet so that's understandable.
1668561936387.png

I'm trying to think what you'd need 100/120/150A - Amp in Music for - but I know you're getting it ready - you're off to a good start - keep us posted on this...

Wanted to warn you though...some 12V batteries their CCA rating - takes precedence - meaning that the internal bonding in-between cells to obtain that CCA figure - when you place extra draw demand on a charging circuit - the internal cells - their bond connection can break open like a fuse and in some rare cases - explode trying to pull current out of the battery to supply the equalizing charge inrush current.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
durtybubble
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I wish you well on those rotors - was wondering how you felt; if any, changes from the stock plain flat OEM to these newer slotted if there were any improvements or noticeable braking control changes (better or worse).

A rear seat delete for the subwoofers - woof... This 'ought to be a fun thread to watch evolve.

Saw in one of the photos the "Skar" buss feeder and holder - looks sturdy enough - but does it need to be enclosed or can it run open? (unprotected) I know you don't have the wiring or the grommet in for that connection yet so that's understandable.

I'm trying to think what you'd need 100/120/150A - Amp in Music for - but I know you're getting it ready - you're off to a good start - keep us posted on this...

Wanted to warn you though...some 12V batteries their CCA rating - takes precedence - meaning that the internal bonding in-between cells to obtain that CCA figure - when you place extra draw demand on a charging circuit - the internal cells - their bond connection can break open like a fuse and in some rare cases - explode trying to pull current out of the battery to supply the equalizing charge inrush current.
The drilled brake rotors definitely gave me a difference in smoother braking.
The picture of the subs in the backseat was just when I first got them but the video i have connected is them now. They are in the trunk and the wires are very organized.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
(...this may be boring to some but might help those wanting to understand fuel delivery systems better so bear with the "simple redundant" approach...)

Now when I see someone is having issues about "plugged" injectors - I can't help but wonder if the problem is more of the fuel rail line---that rectangular box that feeds the injectors. At least less emphasis to the injector - which most usually blame, but what about - how the fuel gets in there to the injector in the first place?

Particles in the fuel - can get to the injectors yes, but the Fuel rail itself seems to be the one that holds that fuel pressure until it's used, so the thing is more of a reservoir of fuel than a rail - more like a bathtub, with 4 drains.

Anyone who has had to deal with sediment - knows how to remove it - you skim it off, or you let it settle.

Filters get particulate of a given micron size (Grain) but still that particulate is heavier than the fluid it's suspended in - by if only, turbulence - turbidity.

This type of thought whether it is correct or not, gives you more of the idea of how fluids and turbidity and turbulence work.

People think that injectors are high pressure nozzles - and they'd be correct.

But the fluid these nozzles project is not a high velocity fluid, just a fluid under pressure that is accelerated into a high velocity by the orifice or nozzle the fluid passes thru.

Think about that for a moment - then think about a balloon that you fill up with air, but if you don't tie it off - it releases that air back into the room and also flies around as it "deflates" - the only reason for the deflation is that the rubberized skin of the balloon is contracting and forces the volume of air from inside to escape thru the hole it came in.

Ok, when that balloon was inflated, was that air inside it accelerating anywhere? No, it was contained within the skin - it was "Static" if you moved the balloon - it air inside just moved with it - if you kept it in one place - the air didn't leave it nor was there air added - it just sat there displacing the volume of air not contained in the skin envelope.

Something happened only when you let go of the nozzle the balloon was inflated in.

Christmas is coming up - so what about those Snow Globe inflatables you see around town?

It uses "Fake snow" (Styrofoam pellets) and a fan to blow air around inside and the fan is in a spot as where the pellets fall towards the bottom, are then picked back up and blown again - around inside the snowman.

Did you ever notice how static charge and moisture can affect how much of the pellets can flow around inside that inflatable?

Now, the "reason" of this coming up is a discussion I had with a friend of GDi versus the Ti - VCTi stuff.

The Focus versus the Fiesta scenario - of which concept is better.

The Focus (to me) was more of a breakthrough for Ford to make injection into the cylinder versus back at the intake side of the valves - a successful entry - although there were others. As with any injection system - there are give and take on each side - with one being the required pressures to keep and maintain the fuel and also a way to keep the fuel from going back into the rail when the pressure of the fluid, is not enough to keep the pressure from the cylinder compression stroke.

In Throttle body side Injection, the intake manifold contains the vacuum of air waiting for use - the injector simply "sprays" a given amount of fuel in a timed pattern to the intake valve - so that when the valve opens, the spray occurs, and the air is drawn in with that spray mixing in with it. (Fuel - air charge)

Same with the GDi - only the injector is in the Cylinder - and is subject to the combustion and compression an exhaust strokes also with that intake - so when this injector works - it requires a higher pressure of fuel for that same volume - so the timing, duration and ability to withstand explosion (compression) means the technology to do this is a lot different than a typical intake injector.

Another is to keep enough fuel present so that when the demand is asked - there is enough of a pool of fluid at pressure to flow into the injector.

(Another forum has asked about High-and-Low pressure switches or sensors to handle pressure regulation - each system has its' advantages, but all require a high-pressure cutoff, and a low-pressure cut-in to make the fuel pump keep a pre-determined range of flow of fuel into the system so the vehicle can accelerate and even run.)

So, if there is enough fluid to keep pressure - the inlet pipe and the outlets to the injectors are really the only spots that are accelerating any fluid in any given direction - else the volume of fluid and the speed of flow within is pretty low in the rail itself.

So, as with the "pellets" of snow, what occurs with the fuel pump pulling fuel into and for the injectors? The only place that "collects" any real volume of fluid is the fuel rail - and all its shapes in the cavity, curves and tubes and convolutions - can make plenty of spots where dirt, sand, debris and even varnish and rust - precipitate out and just lay there, occupying space that otherwise can contain fuel or at least less dirt so it is not blocking ports where the fuel exits and accelerates thru a port to be sent into the injector.

Sometimes the dirt dislodges from its resting spot in the rail cavity - moves to the port of an injector and impedes the flow - so the injector sees less fluid - but its pressure has not changed, only now it has a constriction. So many people think this is a plugged injector - causing a misfire - but when the down and dirty diagnosis is performed, the injector is normal and not plugged.

So, what is causing this?

Time to look at the fuel rail - or at least don't overlook how this affects the fuel delivery.

Just a thought, or two...

OP
durtybubble
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
(...this may be boring to some but might help those wanting to understand fuel delivery systems better so bear with the "simple redundant" approach...)

Now when I see someone is having issues about "plugged" injectors - I can't help but wonder if the problem is more of the fuel rail line---that rectangular box that feeds the injectors. At least less emphasis to the injector - which most usually blame, but what about - how the fuel gets in there to the injector in the first place?

Particles in the fuel - can get to the injectors yes, but the Fuel rail itself seems to be the one that holds that fuel pressure until it's used, so the thing is more of a reservoir of fuel than a rail - more like a bathtub, with 4 drains.

Anyone who has had to deal with sediment - knows how to remove it - you skim it off, or you let it settle.

Filters get particulate of a given micron size (Grain) but still that particulate is heavier than the fluid it's suspended in - by if only, turbulence - turbidity.

This type of thought whether it is correct or not, gives you more of the idea of how fluids and turbidity and turbulence work.

People think that injectors are high pressure nozzles - and they'd be correct.

But the fluid these nozzles project is not a high velocity fluid, just a fluid under pressure that is accelerated into a high velocity by the orifice or nozzle the fluid passes thru.

Think about that for a moment - then think about a balloon that you fill up with air, but if you don't tie it off - it releases that air back into the room and also flies around as it "deflates" - the only reason for the deflation is that the rubberized skin of the balloon is contracting and forces the volume of air from inside to escape thru the hole it came in.

Ok, when that balloon was inflated, was that air inside it accelerating anywhere? No, it was contained within the skin - it was "Static" if you moved the balloon - it air inside just moved with it - if you kept it in one place - the air didn't leave it nor was there air added - it just sat there displacing the volume of air not contained in the skin envelope.

Something happened only when you let go of the nozzle the balloon was inflated in.

Christmas is coming up - so what about those Snow Globe inflatables you see around town?

It uses "Fake snow" (Styrofoam pellets) and a fan to blow air around inside and the fan is in a spot as where the pellets fall towards the bottom, are then picked back up and blown again - around inside the snowman.

Did you ever notice how static charge and moisture can affect how much of the pellets can flow around inside that inflatable?

Now, the "reason" of this coming up is a discussion I had with a friend of GDi versus the Ti - VCTi stuff.

The Focus versus the Fiesta scenario - of which concept is better.

The Focus (to me) was more of a breakthrough for Ford to make injection into the cylinder versus back at the intake side of the valves - a successful entry - although there were others. As with any injection system - there are give and take on each side - with one being the required pressures to keep and maintain the fuel and also a way to keep the fuel from going back into the rail when the pressure of the fluid, is not enough to keep the pressure from the cylinder compression stroke.

In Throttle body side Injection, the intake manifold contains the vacuum of air waiting for use - the injector simply "sprays" a given amount of fuel in a timed pattern to the intake valve - so that when the valve opens, the spray occurs, and the air is drawn in with that spray mixing in with it. (Fuel - air charge)

Same with the GDi - only the injector is in the Cylinder - and is subject to the combustion and compression an exhaust strokes also with that intake - so when this injector works - it requires a higher pressure of fuel for that same volume - so the timing, duration and ability to withstand explosion (compression) means the technology to do this is a lot different than a typical intake injector.

Another is to keep enough fuel present so that when the demand is asked - there is enough of a pool of fluid at pressure to flow into the injector.

(Another forum has asked about High-and-Low pressure switches or sensors to handle pressure regulation - each system has its' advantages, but all require a high-pressure cutoff, and a low-pressure cut-in to make the fuel pump keep a pre-determined range of flow of fuel into the system so the vehicle can accelerate and even run.)

So, if there is enough fluid to keep pressure - the inlet pipe and the outlets to the injectors are really the only spots that are accelerating any fluid in any given direction - else the volume of fluid and the speed of flow within is pretty low in the rail itself.

So, as with the "pellets" of snow, what occurs with the fuel pump pulling fuel into and for the injectors? The only place that "collects" any real volume of fluid is the fuel rail - and all its shapes in the cavity, curves and tubes and convolutions - can make plenty of spots where dirt, sand, debris and even varnish and rust - precipitate out and just lay there, occupying space that otherwise can contain fuel or at least less dirt so it is not blocking ports where the fuel exits and accelerates thru a port to be sent into the injector.

Sometimes the dirt dislodges from its resting spot in the rail cavity - moves to the port of an injector and impedes the flow - so the injector sees less fluid - but its pressure has not changed, only now it has a constriction. So many people think this is a plugged injector - causing a misfire - but when the down and dirty diagnosis is performed, the injector is normal and not plugged.

So, what is causing this?

Time to look at the fuel rail - or at least don't overlook how this affects the fuel delivery.

Just a thought, or two...
I think you might’ve replied to the wrong thread.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I think you might’ve replied to the wrong thread.
Need to Fix:
Clogged Fuel Filter Problem
Er, no - your Clogged fuel filter...

Wanted to pass along some advice when it comes to the Fuel Filter being replaced but a problem with idle, the quality or even acceleration - still remains.

So since Fiestas past 2014 - don't have a "Fuel filter" - but a strainer - the problem crops up - and have seen (since I'm a driver - a "pool" for deliveries) I've been seeing - hearing - even experiencing several engine running problems that have cropped up when cars sit on a lot during a pandemic, then when the workers get back they can't understand why the car they used that ran fine before - now runs rough and can barely get thru the day without stalling.

The problems compound when the fuel it had in the tank stagnates and now you have to drive it out to get the engine back.

The feedback I've been hearing from several of the car shops we work with for Serivces - have come back with myriads of problems and issues; the DTC's, the Emissions - the Brakes and even Radiators and AC are all in some form of disrepair because of the lack of use and of course the changes to the fuel additives and the DCS/DCT as well as Actuators - makes for a lot of tranny shift problems - but none of the Fiestas we use have "Fuel Filters" - just strainers. They are inside the tank at the fuel pump.

1668736983446.png

Unless you've got a Fiesta that uses a Fuel Filter - many later models don't have one that is replaceable - you have to replace the fuel pump and filter as a unit.

So, the best advice I can give is to not just replace the fuel pump/filter - but clean and purge the Fuel Rail. It may house some of the debris that got past the filter and now are waiting to show up as injection problems - when the injectors are ok, just the rail to feed them is plugged from the dirty fuel that got past the fuel pump filter/strainer.

In some instances, a day spent blowing out the fuel rail and replace a seal or two - can bring the cars performance back to life - because the older fuel "varnished" as it either stagnated in the ground at the station, or in the tank when it combined with new fresh fuel loosened and now got lodged in the rail affecting the pressure and flow of fuel to those injectors.

Last edited:
OP
durtybubble
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
Oh, I already know the issue I just need the part to be replaced. It’s the hose I am pointing at in this photo. I blew through it one time and everything worked fine. So I am not sure it’s actually a filter issue.

Attachments

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Are you getting a mil for “catalyst low efficiency, bank 1”? Or recall if you have had a flashing orange engine light when driving it at some point?

OP
durtybubble
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
Are you getting a mil for “catalyst low efficiency, bank 1”? Or recall if you have had a flashing orange engine light when driving it at some point?
No, when I try and fill up my gas tank it will stop multiple times because it thinks its full even though its not. I took out that hose at one point and the problem went away. I have no engine lights on for the problem its just annoying when I fill up lol.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That sounds like a canister purge valve issue. As fuel is added to the vehicle, the vapors have to be removed from the tank. The valve senses the pressure change and is designed to open and allow the vapor migrate to a charcoal canister and loiter there until a pressure differential is created by the fuel tank being emptied. There are some other temperature or operating conditions that it opens to allow vapor pressure to move to or from the canister to maintain a stable condition.