Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Bounce noise from front end

City
Middlesbrough
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta zetec
Going over dips and bumps im
Hearing a trampoline like sound coming from
Front end of the veichle checked springs and shock absorbers any ideas please

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would have to guess that one or both of the front struts might be failed. You don't mention how many kilometers are on your Fiesta or if you are experiencing a degraded ride quality?
Are the plastic or rubber "accordian" boots intact on the strut pistons? These protect the strut pistons from direct contact with road debris. If the seal fails on a strut piston, the strut is toast.

OP
L
City
Middlesbrough
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta zetec
Thread Starter #3
I’m at 40k miles taken a look at the axle bushes they were very dry so greased up but still makes the noise however less prominent, going to have them changed to see if that works

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Im not sure what the "axle bushes" exactly are. I think that the anti sway bar bushings that are bolted down to the subframe might become noise makers. The rubber bushings around the sway bar are really not very robust. I would describe them as spongy at best.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hey! While were talking about this...

There was a thread or two earlier, about a similar noise problem, but I seem to have lost the threads' subject title..

Came across several times Michigan/Indiana roads have gotten the best of my Strut Tower mounts...

Referring to these guys...
1611703767976.png

The "puck" on the right, is what comes out of another tower you bought with the Ford S or SE series, that is a polyurethane bushing that the struts' main shaft bolts to.

What occurs, the vehicle strikes the pothole - the wheels attempt to absorb the impact, but in turn transfer it to the strut, the tower and eventually this mount - if you hit it hard enough or often enough, these pop out of position and float about ABOVE the seat - the one on the Right is the results, a hockey puck...

The one on the LEFT is the SAME Mount and flange system - it's what it's supposed to look like.

Note the "card" below - that number is what I use now - it's for the ST series, but the mount seems to hold up better and is a slightly different composition than the OEM one you get.

Now my "experiment" is still ongoing but in using this "idea" with the roads and their condition, this is going to be an ongoing - many peoples' problems, with the Fiesta - its' not built for OFF ROAD as the typical Rust Belt roads are turning into.

So I have done more work than this and as time allows I will post some of this work so you can try it yourself - let's just say I'm working on a backing plate to keep the strut bushing in place - I'll give you folks a post about the results as spring and Pothole Season comes to a close and Summers' Road Construction season begins.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I had to replace the strut mount bushings on my 2011 a few years ago. They broke and began to make a crunching and popping noise when i turned the steering wheel.
I will make a note regarding the better ST version.
When i installed the Koni sport dampers on my ST i never closely looked at the strut mount bushings to take note of the difference.