Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Average MPG Survey on USA 1.6 litre engine with Automatic Transmission

City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
White 2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan
Hello Everyone!

I have a 2017 USA Model Oxford White Ford Fiesta SE Sedan with
the Automatic Transmission and 119,00 miles with the 1.6 litre engine.
I am keeping studless snow tires on the car during January, February,
and March of 2023 since I live in New York State. According to the trip computer, I am averaging 40.0 miles per gallon, and I think that the
readings are accurate based on my gasoline fill-ups using 87 octane
fuel. How are all of you dong with your average MPG?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
My ST used to get 31-32 highway and high 20s in town. For some reason, my last highway trip I got 34, and I was going fast.
Guess it's finally breaking in. :p

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
I have a Hatch 5speed tho,
I have mixed driving. However mostly highway/rural. I have 2 routes I can take to town/work.
Summer...
On the divided highway cruising at 3000RPM I get 35mpg with air cond on and 37mpg with it off.
On the 2 lane at 55/60mph I get 37mpg with air cond on and 38mpg with it off.
Winter...
With the colder weather, snow and pre heating the car it drops to 33 on the big highway and 34 on the 2 lane.
I have mounted a space heater under the passenger side dash to do some pre heating of the interior and clear glass to help reduce idling time.
Over all, the car is doing its job of costing me less money. If I wanted better mileage, Id get a motorcycle...but winter commuting might be tough!!

Last edited:
City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
Since I do a good amount of city driving, with only 8 miles on two highways, I get about 23-25mpg. Every night I drive, I spend an inordinate amount of time idling and inching for about a mile after the eastbound intersection of US-1 and I-76. One of these days I'm hoping to get my '72 diesel Benz fixed back up and then I'll have the option of driving that which gets 32mpg (of course diesel is more expensive than eggs now, so that's still not saving much if any.) I'm trying to ride the bicycle more, which is better for my body and mind.

City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
I was avg 38 but then I put new wheels on and struggle to get 36 and most of my drive is interstate

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I was avg 38 but then I put new wheels on and struggle to get 36 and most of my drive is interstate
You still have the ST wheels and tires on your Fiesta?
If so, that is where the 2 mpg went away to.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It was surprising that just changing out the wheels and tires had such a huge effect on the fuel economy and performance. I put the ST wheels and tires on my 2011 for a week, shortly after I got the FiST. The 11 Fiesta lost 2.3 mpg average fuel economy just from that one change. I bumped up the tires cold psi to 35 psi and average fuel economy improved ever so slightly to 2.1 mpg average loss.
I like the looks of the larger wheels. But,The road feel, fuel economy and cost of replacement tires doesn’t excite me at all.
I have never been accused of being unwilling to spend money on my cars. But, large diameter, often heavy wheels are not something that I will ever have a problem resisting the urge to get my checkbook out to purchase.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I have mounted a space heater under the passenger side dash to do some pre heating of the interior and clear glass to help reduce idling time.
Where I used to live this was a necessity...So you're not alone in the thinking. Used a battery charger with this too to help keep the battery strong enough to turn the engine over.

Plug it in 30 min ahead to help warm the interior then unplug before starting the engine - still had to warm up but made those lake winters more bearable.