Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

A universal type splitter for 2011 to 13 Fiesta.....

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
This one is a more flat design than the "Car parts innovate"or "Protuninglab" one that Lions tooth has installed.
I'm just confirming that i can actually fit this onto a 2011 Fiesta. I am not sure if I will use it. This design has many more parts and hardware than the custom tailored one. A few images of the unboxing and then a few images of the parts clamped and supported in place, minus the red adjustable uprights. I am trying to get a good idea of how it will look. I can understand why the uprights are needed once I had the splitter positioned.this one is from Linkterest on Ebay. What do you guy's think? unnamed.jpg unnamed.jpg 20220731_173554.jpg View attachment 6800 View attachment 6800 20220802_142600.jpg 20220802_142622.jpg 20220802_140639.jpg 20220731_173716.jpg 20220731_173631.jpg 20220802_123048.jpg

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The "winglets" makes it look odd...

Boeings offer of support for the Aerodynamics of a Ford Fiesta...

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #3
I agree! But the one I have but can't get hold of the car to test fit it onto has the same canards on it's outside ends.i see new style Honda Civics with the same style splitter, the outside canards on them stick out much more. With my Fiesta being lowered on 15 inch wheels makes running this splitter a little bit frightening. I lose about 10mm of front clearance on the corners and the center area of the bumper now has no more clearance now. I will put this one on the shelf for the possibility of getting a 2011 to 2013 fiesta. I doubt that i would have the fiesta this goes onto get lowering coils.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I like how it looks. Maybe the outer pieces need to go back further toward the front tires? I lke the winglets on mine.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
But the real question - do they work?

Does it scoop more air up or deflect it around to the sides?

Why lower a vehicle even more than what it should safely be?

I think there are limits to each effort - for otherwise you'd be leaving car parts from your vehicle - along with rocks and stones, road debris possibly in the grille and windshield of a vehicle following a little too close.
1659525149830.png
One good pothole deep enough and you're sending pavement and parts of your car into low earth orbit.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #6
Do they "improve" the aerodynamics? No. Are they a detriment to it? Probably not much. These are cosmetic items. But, i definitely don't want to create a debris field in my wake.
This one could very easily become road debris. Especially if it is not fastened well and it didn't get the pair of supports installed at the overlap points of the parts. This thing would be very floppy otherwise.
It is going on the shelf for now.

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #7
I like how it looks. Maybe the outer pieces need to go back further toward the front tires? I lke the winglets on mine.
These images are of the parts being fitted "as is" out of the box. I will post pics of the trimmed fit. The 11 to 13 Fiesta has a lower airfoil that i will have to trim the mounting surface of the splitter back about 1.5 inches to give the space needed to get the winglets moved back to the edge of the bumper cover.
This one has a lot more mounting brackets and hardware than the one that we bought! The only reason for the delay in fitting pictures of the one I have that is identical to yours is he decided to get the oil change i offered over money. His 2018 Fiesta isn't due for an oil change for another 3,500 miles. So i'm waiting.

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Do they "improve" the aerodynamics? No. Are they a detriment to it? Probably not much. These are cosmetic items. But, i definitely don't want to create a debris field in my wake.
This one could very easily become road debris. Especially if it is not fastened well and it didn't get the pair of supports installed at the overlap points of the parts. This thing would be very floppy otherwise.
It is going on the shelf for now.
Yes there is a point of diminishing returns. Does it work or do nothing? I don't have access to a wind tunnel so it's a guess. I bought mine because I like the look...really nothing more than that. It doesn't appear to be a problem ride-height-wise. I don't like having to go at a driveway at an angle because an air dam or splitter is so low that I could rip it off. No thank you very much. I just like the look and that works for me.

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #9
I wish that there were an equivalent "specific fit" splitter for the 11 to 13 Fiesta. My only reasoning for these is appearance, with the hope that it doesn't have any negative effect.
I really like the way the one on your Fiesta looks.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #10
I did some careful trimming of the winglet panels. They had to be notched a bit to allow the clearance needed to move the splitter back enough to not protrude as much. Which is a concern because of the increased exposure to hitting "things" that a low mounted and protruding component presents.the range of adjustment is wide. But, once I had it where it looked right on the car, the overlap was awkward looking and needed some reinforcement aluminum added to the undersides in order to have the combined parts have some decent rigidity. It is definitely not a simple and fast kit to add to fiesta. 20220803_093839.jpg 20220808_115637~2.jpg 20220812_175205.jpg 20220812_175150.jpg 20220812_175857.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #11
I will post pics of the underside of the bonded splitter as fitted. It's clamped together waiting for the epoxy to cure.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #12
A few images of the painfully slow process of fitting and gluing the reinforcement aluminum strips onto the underside of the hopefully soon to be less floppy splitter. 20220818_135010.jpg 20220818_135027.jpg 20220817_203751.jpg

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #13
Just determining the attachment points and leveling now. I added three 9/16 x 1.5 inch black nylon pillars that have 1/4 inch drilled through holes for the stainless steel bolts and nuts.
20220820_141234_HDR.jpg 20220820_150416_HDR.jpg 20220820_140934_HDR.jpg

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #14
One thing I discovered that was kinda screwed up was when i epoxied the winglet panels to the center panel the glue flowed to an area at the front of the winglet panels where it meets the front edge of where both panels meet. Being inverted, i didnt or couldn't get a good look at what the panel gaps looked like post glueup. Fortunately both sides are almost identically imperfect! So, hell no im not going to attemp a fix. 20220820_141326_HDR~2.jpg

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I admire your patience with the intricacy details of the work.

You certainly deserve a few atta-boys' for this effort.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #16
Thanks! I decided to try to dodge the rain showers and get the mounting points done. It looks and feels like a more substantial part than it was a few days ago.
It looks much better after the fitting and fettle sessions!.
I think the final word on this piece will be something like " what comes in the shipping box is just a skin for what you will end up bolting onto your bumper". In any case, i humbly accept the applause from the most interesting man in the world.

Last edited: