Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Steering noise/groans

G4TRA

City
Malmesbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2014 Ecoboost Titanium
I have a UK 2014 Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium X with an annoying steering issue:
:
1. Does this car have PAS, If so I guess it is electric as there is no PAS fluid reservoir under the bonnet.

2. I the warm weather it has developed and annoying rubbing noise as you turn the wheel. I believe that this is a common problem with these cars. Jacking the car up it sounds as if it is emanating from the rack itself, a sort of groan as you go lock to lock and in my experience typical of a dry nylon/rubber joint or bush. It only happens when you are actually turning the steering wheel which eliminates most of the suspension components. I have WD40 the column bush and UJ at the base of the pedals, given a squirt to the steering knuckles and still the noise persists.

Any comments guys. I am sure I cannot be the only one who has experienced with issue.

Thanks in anticipation.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The struts? Any idea as to when they were serviced?

Because they use a bearing "cup" - and in it is a bearing race, that - if old, or knocked around by age and potholes, that cup can distort and you may be hearing the cup being out of round.

The cup bears the weight and thrust of the struts impacts - and needs to be seated in a retainer. After a while the potholes, weight shift and sudden impact bouncing distorts the plastic retainer and might make it and the race that seats in it - more oblong and out of round so the steering may be ok, but the race being out of round - is scraping and since it bears weight - transfers that noise into the vehicle and makes it more like a groan.

There is a thread about this...
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/koni-str-t-shock-and-strut-discussion.8058/post-19289

IF you can, navigate and read thru that whole thread, makes for an interesting study in the geometry of the vehicle and the way it's set up - it may help you find the noise and fix a potential problem.

To help sort this out...
1687699200903.png
The above in a simple "exploded" view of the parts the Strut uses. The ones that are shown colored arrow are the ones in Metric size either by socket or by wrench - to remove/tighten or use to hold shafts that will otherwise turn.

#11 The Bearing and it's retainer or race - is sandwiched between the strut top mount and the struts own coil spring and top of the shaft of the shock side of the strut holds this piece together while #12 the Strut top mount bolts it to the cars strut tower in the front.

#10 is an upper cushion shown in the thread - keeps the shock from smacking the underside of the retainer. distorting and even breaking that cup. That is on the shock shaft - under and thread thru the shock shaft - below and under #9 bellows and the retainer.

The Struts top nut #6 is 18mm. While the post it mounts to, thru the strut mount #12 and Bearing Retainer #11 - that post has socket that fits an 8mm Allen (Hex) wrench to hold the shaft stationary while you tighten #6 to it, using the go-thru spline or socket of 18mm Size deep well socket - or if possible - use an offset 18 mm Wrench to turn the lock nut, while you keep the 8mm Allen on the top post to keep it from turning with - but you can also turn it to help speed the assembly.

• Now, if you are using the same strut - then better results would be to KEEP THE CENTER POST OF THE STRUT FROM TURNING Which is the reason for the 18mm Go-Thru tool and the 8mm Allen wrench. This is more for the strut shaft (shock) to prevent it from developing a leak if the shaft has an imperceptible curl or debris that the shaft rod itself has collected during use that you can't remove unless you do further disassembly.
    • This is due to the nature of the rod shaft used and it's seals, for if too many deeper grooves form in the Rod itself, the seals can lose their integrity and begin to leak. The effects from Turning the Rod can make these grooves form in a fashion that is farther down the rod shaft - so if the grooved sections were to form, the seal that forms or tries to form around them would fail in an AT REST position releasing more fluid when parked and reducing the shock portion of the struts performance far quicker than expected
  • Another thing to remember, although the bolts #2 and Nuts #3 may be ok, if you choose to reuse them then that is at your own risk. IF the suspension system is suspected of having some failure in it, reusing the Bolts places you at risk to failure at a latter time - they transfer any shock from the wheel and tire, that goes thru the hub and steering knuckle and into that strut assembly and it's mounts.

Last edited:
OP
G

G4TRA

City
Malmesbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
The struts? Any idea as to when they were serviced?

Because they use a bearing "cup" - and in it is a bearing race, that - if old, or knocked around by age and potholes, that cup can distort and you may be hearing the cup being out of round.

The cup bears the weight and thrust of the struts impacts - and needs to be seated in a retainer. After a while the potholes, weight shift and sudden impact bouncing distorts the plastic retainer and might make it and the race that seats in it - more oblong and out of round so the steering may be ok, but the race being out of round - is scraping and since it bears weight - transfers that noise into the vehicle and makes it more like a groan.

There is a thread about this...
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/koni-str-t-shock-and-strut-discussion.8058/post-19289

IF you can, navigate and read thru that whole thread, makes for an interesting study in the geometry of the vehicle and the way it's set up - it may help you find the noise and fix a potential problem.

To help sort this out...
View attachment 8118
The above in a simple "exploded" view of the parts the Strut uses. The ones that are shown colored arrow are the ones in Metric size either by socket or by wrench - to remove/tighten or use to hold shafts that will otherwise turn.

#11 The Bearing and it's retainer or race - is sandwiched between the strut top mount and the struts own coil spring and top of the shaft of the shock side of the strut holds this piece together while #12 the Strut top mount bolts it to the cars strut tower in the front.

#10 is an upper cushion shown in the thread - keeps the shock from smacking the underside of the retainer. distorting and even breaking that cup. That is on the shock shaft - under and thread thru the shock shaft - below and under #9 bellows and the retainer.

The Struts top nut #6 is 18mm. While the post it mounts to, thru the strut mount #12 and Bearing Retainer #11 - that post has socket that fits an 8mm Allen (Hex) wrench to hold the shaft stationary while you tighten #6 to it, using the go-thru spline or socket of 18mm Size deep well socket - or if possible - use an offset 18 mm Wrench to turn the lock nut, while you keep the 8mm Allen on the top post to keep it from turning with - but you can also turn it to help speed the assembly.

• Now, if you are using the same strut - then better results would be to KEEP THE CENTER POST OF THE STRUT FROM TURNING Which is the reason for the 18mm Go-Thru tool and the 8mm Allen wrench. This is more for the strut shaft (shock) to prevent it from developing a leak if the shaft has an imperceptible curl or debris that the shaft rod itself has collected during use that you can't remove unless you do further disassembly.
    • This is due to the nature of the rod shaft used and it's seals, for if too many deeper grooves form in the Rod itself, the seals can lose their integrity and begin to leak. The effects from Turning the Rod can make these grooves form in a fashion that is farther down the rod shaft - so if the grooved sections were to form, the seal that forms or tries to form around them would fail in an AT REST position releasing more fluid when parked and reducing the shock portion of the struts performance far quicker than expected
  • Another thing to remember, although the bolts #2 and Nuts #3 may be ok, if you choose to reuse them then that is at your own risk. IF the suspension system is suspected of having some failure in it, reusing the Bolts places you at risk to failure at a latter time - they transfer any shock from the wheel and tire, that goes thru the hub and steering knuckle and into that strut assembly and it's mounts.
Hi Andy,
Good point and thank you for your detailed responce.
As far as I am aware the struts have never been "serviced". I have changed both lower suspension arms and anti roll bar mounts, not all that long ago due no doubt to pothole damage. Therefore I would not rule out damage to the strut bearings..
I have run the stethoscope over the system (usually a very good way of locating untoward nose problems) and only really found the noise emanating from the rack where the column enters and at a much lower level on the top of the offside strut. Knowing how noise travels through various mediums and the nature of the "creak" I would therefore suspect the lower column seal/bush. I have WD40 this area and await any improvement.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
As a way to help you - any time of when the sun has lowered in the sky near dusk or after dawn, so you can look into and down the holes where the struts bolt to the upper brace?

1689455509994.png

Strong light from the day tends to glare and darken (by contrast) so you cannot easily notice this...

When you drive the car, and this noise appears - if possible - pull into a parking lot and see if the shudder or noise can possibly be found.

If you can shine a flashlight down in the hole where the upper strut mount meets the upper brace of the car, try to bounce the bumper or wiggle the front end of the car and see if you can find and even notice the upper strut mount - if it moves - the "hockey puck" I talk about is the struts cushion, but the movement and the noise you describe - occurs when the shock part of the strut has popped the cushion out of it's seat and is now free - since the puck is bolted to it - the strut rod then floats above the seat and gets knocked around while you drive- once stopped - the puck is looking to find "center" when the car sits - then the rod "pulls" the puck back into it's seat only to get knocked out again at the next pothole.

Last edited:
OP
G

G4TRA

City
Malmesbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
OK thank you for your assistance, I will examine that area more carefully.
We have an MOT test due in a months or so time too, let's see if they flag anything up as well.