Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Is the ball joint on the 2015 Fiesta SE removable>

csigona

City
Poland
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta SE, 2015 Fiesta SE
I own both a 2014 and 2015 Fiesta SE. On the 2014 I have replaced the ball joints by pressing them out of the control arm. Today I went to replace a ball joint on the 2015, but I don't see the retaining ring. Am I blind, or did the design change between 2014 and 2015, the 2014 having a press-in ball joint, and the 2015 having a ball joint integral to the control arm, meaning I have to buy the control arm?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The original joint is pressed in. Many aftermarket joints are retained by the locking ring. The whole arm and ball joint is also an option.

OP
C

csigona

City
Poland
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
The original joint is pressed in. Many aftermarket joints are retained by the locking ring. The whole arm and ball joint is also an option.
Thank you, scotman. Are you saying that the reason I was able to find the retaining ring on the 2014 Fiesta is that it was not the original control arm?

I suspect we mean different things by "pressed in". I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology. For the 2014, I removed the retaining ring and pressed the ball joint out, then pressed the new one in, and reinserted the retaining ring. For the 2015, I don't see a retaining ring. Can I nonetheless press it out?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I did a pictorial thread for the ball joint replacement. It's in the thread titled "lower front control arm performance oriented bushing upgrade"

Last edited:
OP
C

csigona

City
Poland
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Very good. Thank you for your work on the pictorial thread. I'll try to knock the ball joint out.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
If the arm is not bent or the bushings are still good, i prefer to just replace the ball joint. In Michigan, ball joints are good for around 35 to 40 thousand miles.

OP
C

csigona

City
Poland
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
I popped it out with the shop press. Thank you, scotman, for your help.