Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Fiesta 2015 clutch master cylinder pipe connection issue.

philp1963

City
Poole
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
ford fiesta 2015
I have replaced my clutch master cylinder on my 2015 fiesta. For me it was much harder then I had first thought, although now I know a bit more about how to go about it. The Haynes manual was not that helpful....I needed more detail.

Anyway the new one is in and I have re-connected the two pipes (top & bottom) to the new master cylinder connectors. The bottom one clicked on nicely and seems secure. The top one also clicked on nicely and is securely on. However this top connector slides a small distance up and down on the plastic tube. I am sure this is probably not right. Somethings wrong!!! I then tried finding out more on line, and some references were made to an O-ring. The Haynes manual does not even mention this.

Anyway I had a quick look around the area were the master cylinder comes into the engine apartment and possibly very luckily I noticed a little rubber O ring. I have no clue whether this is what is missing. I have attached a photo of this O-ring(?). I have also shown a picture of it pushed onto the plastic pipe of the top master cylinder pipe (I have broken off the top pipe from the old master cylinder). Is this what I need? Have I pushed it on correctly?

Sorry about the quality of the photos. The O ring does have a hole through the middle of it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
IMG_20230919_110128052.jpg IMG_20230919_110141994.jpg IMG_20230919_110107924.jpg
Thank You.

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That more than likely is it. But the upper pipe is the one that is from the Brake Fluid reservoir so it has "no pressure" in which to worry about pressure, the bottom pipe that goes the Slave is the one that builds the pressure against the clutch plate.

I'd like to say good job for that O ring may need to be the one that seats the upper hose and provides the fitment to seal - I'd have to take mine apart which I'm not about ready to do (again) to verify this but I hope next time you take more detailed pics of your disassembly and re-assembly work so you can find the place you may have forgot to put this end on.

OP
P

philp1963

City
Poole
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
ford fiesta 2015
Thread Starter #3
I removed the pipe completely from the car.. I found out two things. That O-ring must be off of something else. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with this pipe. Must be something to do with pevious work? Both ends of the connector look identical.
The second thing. Its quite hard to get at these connections. My hands are too big to be a mechanic. Anyway when I was originally struggling to get the top pipe off, which is always harder when you totally dont understand how they come apart, the blue clip completely came off of it. I then struggled to put it back on. I thought that I got it on correctly, but I found out after I took the pipe out that the blue clip was the wrong way around and that was why it was not securing properly. Oh well, I think that I am learning???

Today I am going to try and bleed the system....more fun no doubt.
Thanks again

OP
P

philp1963

City
Poole
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
ford fiesta 2015
Thread Starter #4
This is quite funny really. In my defence, I am quite busy and I am struggling a little bit in fitting time in during the week to work on this car.

I like having a go at these things, and if I was to do this again I would be much much quicker. I now know a lot more.

Anyway I tried to bleed the system. And guess what the pipe going into the bottom connector (not the top one) leaked. It was then that I discovered what the O-ring thing that I had found was for. It slips on to the bottom pipe connector. I have put this O-ring on and there are now no leaks.

I just wish the Haynes manual had mentioned this rubber O-ring thing. I guess in most cases this does not come off. I was very lucky to see it and get it back. So a warning to anybody reading this. When disconnecting the bottom pipe of the master cylinder (the pipe going towards the slave cylinder) keep an eye out for a little rubber O-ring thing which pushes on the end of the pipe connector. I imagine that it could get left behind in the pipe or drop down never to be seen again. You would have to buy a new pipe to get a new one.