Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Blower rattling

Josh92

City
Huddersfield
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2011
Hi all.

Happy Friday!

I am getting a rattling sound when I turn on the blower on my 2011 Fiesta. The heating and aircon both work it just makes a rattling sound between clicks. I have uploaded a video below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/T9q6f7icpxU?feature=share

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Freeplay in belt but that is not the chirp. That freeplay is giving the water pump and Alternator a chance to breathe when the belt around the pulleys are not under load.

So you have two things beside the AC that have me concerned - the Water pump if mileage is over 80,000 - this is the sound it makes when the pulley lets the pump relax on its shaft - that squeak.

The other is the Alternator - but it would also make lights flicker from that kind of bearing noise - out of round would make the brushes "bounce" affecting the ability of the stator and rotor to "commutate to the regulator" to charge the system.

This requires the belt to be removed and those pulleys spun to feel for roughness and try to use a runout tool to check for out of round lobbing of a shaft or to place some tension (pull push lift lower) to check for bearing freeplay.

1663585130143.png

The "Groove" on the water pumps' wear point, where the belt lies is a strong clue to this.

OP
J

Josh92

City
Huddersfield
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2011
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed reply Andy. I had the Cambelt kit, fan belt and water pump all done in March this year. The car has only done 33k Miles and is an automatic.
So do you think it's most likely the alternator?
Thanks,
Josh

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The squeak is what has me concerned - alternator draw would make a long-term chirp or squeal - not a squeak, so this sounds to be something of a shaft or shaft to bearing clearance issue - I'm not ruling out nothing yet except electrical load - which it would draw down idle and form that longer tone squeal - not a quick chirp like a shaft turn of bearing roll.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It’s bearings, either the A/C compressor, alternator or water pump.
This is where a mechanics stethoscope is nice to have!