Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2016 ford fiesta apim

City
Caldwell
State
ID
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 ford fiesta s hatchback
Okay so I have googled and Googled and I can't seem to find the replacement apim for my 2016 ford fiesta s hatchback. It has the base module screen in it however once I replace the apim I will be replacing the screen but unfortunately i can't put a new screen in and it work without the apim working! The car dealership wanted to charge me 1500 for it and I refuse to pay that. PLEASE HELP!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You should try EBay Motors or an auto salvage yard that is connected with multiple other yards to find those components. If you can take the components out and get any tag numbers or build date codes that would help narrow down your search and greatly improve your likelihood of getting the right parts the first time.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You have to take apart most of the console dashboard.

Not an easy fun thing to do.

Youtube has several videos on how to take apart the Fiestas' console - best to review them.

To start the top clamshell cover over the APIM has to be removed - but to do it correctly requires a pull and lift motion not easy to do on the first try and you could damage the finger and tabs used to hold the cover to the dash.- are you willing to do it is the key.

Then the cover for the vents and keypad is pried off and a connector is removed so you see the "blank face" radio Audio head unit and the APIM above it.

The APIM itself will need some tools, nothing special. A simple metric hex nut hand tool 7mm on up to 10mm are needed - you can use Socket wrench but the handle of the tool can damage the trim if it bangs around. Best to use that socket tool set that uses the handle like a Philips or standard screwdriver has.

OP
Sonjaanne27
City
Caldwell
State
ID
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
You have to take apart most of the console dashboard.

Not an easy fun thing to do.

Youtube has several videos on how to take apart the Fiestas' console - best to review them.

To start the top clamshell cover over the APIM has to be removed - but to do it correctly requires a pull and lift motion not easy to do on the first try and you could damage the finger and tabs used to hold the cover to the dash.- are you willing to do it is the key.

Then the cover for the vents and keypad is pried off and a connector is removed so you see the "blank face" radio Audio head unit and the APIM above it.

The APIM itself will need some tools, nothing special. A simple metric hex nut hand tool 7mm on up to 10mm are needed - you can use Socket wrench but the handle of the tool can damage the trim if it bangs around. Best to use that socket tool set that uses the handle like a Philips or standard screwdriver has.
Thank you for replying! I have actually had my dash off more times than I can count! My problem is finding the actual apim part that works for my car. No to worried about actually replacing it I have full confidence I can do that :) however after the apim is replaced doesn't it have to be programmed? And I know the ford dealership won't program it because they didn't install it. That's my two main hiccups. The stereo in there is stock base model Gen 1 sync system and for the life of me haven't been able to find an apim that will work for it and I absolutely refuse to pay 1500 when I am fairly smart and have the power of the internet.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Not always "reporgrammed" because the same year should match the same logic set (chipset in PC-talk stuff) - it's the "close to, but not quite right" in a span of years , that makes the simple drop in not so simple. That's due to the logic refinements to the display - as you know - the older style uses "Hexadecimal" style of display to make the display show alphanumeric work, but in later years they worked with a TFT-LCD display with Color - so that is why I mentioned the chipset and the expansion of the features in the console keypad, like Clock, extra memory, even the Telephony - 1(ABC), 2(DEF) sort of keypad design shows up in latter years - which adds to this mess - because the level of programming the latter years offered, like satellite and Bluetooth - added more layers of complexity.

Since you're in 2016 - have you sought after a display from any Focus, Taurus or even Explorer of the same year that stereo is using a similar APIM?

Then if you know the year (Date code) of the Stereo - then that is the APIM you look for. It is so the chipset of the APIM is closer to the chipset of the Stereo - so the logic controller used between the two, can communicate - so you always have to use the year of the oldest part of the system.

It's like the old TV show Battlestar Galactica series - they are only as fast as their slowest ship - so although other chipsets would work in fit and connectors would work in electrical - but not in form - because the controller handshaking needs to be similar to make the two work together.

Else they had to keep the "contour" and size the same for the years it was made, so the closest the year and part match is, the greater the success in the system recognizing it and properly make the keypad on the console, work right.

OP
Sonjaanne27
City
Caldwell
State
ID
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
The really frustrating part of it all is that once that is replaced im replacing the screen anyways! But u fortunately the new one won't work without that stupid part!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Yeah. Unfortunately we will all be facing the potential for this problem at some point.
I purchased a damaged 2011 Fiesta that I could power up to confirm that the audio system was still working before I stripped out all the goodie’s. Now the car exists only as two stacks of 27 gallon storage bins.