Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Wrench light and limp mode randomly

City
Edmonton
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
2012 Fiesta with 1.6. The car has done this about 8 months after I bought it. The wrench light will come on and the car goes into limp mode. I pull off turn it off and start right back and it’s fine acts like a new car. It does it randomly from idling, driving at fluctuating speeds and just a Constant speeds on interstates. I haven’t had the codes pulled while the wrench light is on bc I’m never around a shop when it happens. I have no idea what is wrong and it absolutely annoying!! Please help!!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Got a local Auto Parts store around?

You just need a simple OBD-II hand scanner reader - one that can read codes thru the OBD port.

They are about $45 - $55 bucks - it saves you the trouble of having to find a dealership when this happens.

1658452833254.png
The "Wrench" on the FIESTA lite usually means oil change or service - but the other light is the one that looks like a tiny version of your motor - that one usually means codes are getting sent or stored and the wrench light is just a service reminder.

So, for it to go into "limp mode" - how to you know it's in "limp mode"?

If its mis-firing a cylinder or poor fuel - that sets the Check engine light...

But if it loose wiring a bad spark plug wire - the system will try to clear, but if it re-occurs, so it again sets a wrench light because it thinks something is wrong with the PCM or transmission. It can't discern the difference between a bad plug or a throttle plate issue really quick, - if it senses a difference in signal from a specific item then is sets a diagnostic code pending DTC in the OBD - and may set the check engine light.

Doesn't always set a "wrench light" - but it may mean you have to fix some electrical problem - loose battery cable or one of the many wires off of that red Terminal cap on the Positive post of the battery, might be coming loose - and setting this condition - while it is trying to sort out why it does work and well, then this - that usually means a bad or loose connector.

So, when you get that little code scanner, look not just for codes, but the I/M monitors - see which system the OBD can monitor, is NOT READY that is a sub-system to check, like EVAP EGR, PCM FUEL HVAC and others - depends on the model of scanner you use.
t