Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Won’t engage the starter

Steel 7

City
Chico
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 ford fiesta
Hello,
I have a 2011 Fiesta manual transmission; I just replaced the flywheel, and clutch assembly. Bled everything, put it all back together and now it won’t start. I have tested the starter, it works; I have power going to the starter; cleaned and tightened all ground wires; I have made sure that all connections are properly connected; the only thing that I’m not getting is a signal telling the clutch to engage when I turn the key. I have switched out fuses and still nothing. Anyone have advice on how to resolve this?

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
So when this kind of thing happens I always track back everything I touched. It's amazing how many times I think I reconnected something and it's not quite seated or left disconnected. It may not seem to related but it's possible your battery gave up. Can you jump start it? Can you bump start it?

OP
S

Steel 7

City
Chico
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #3
So when this kind of thing happens I always track back everything I touched. It's amazing how many times I think I reconnected something and it's not quite seated or left disconnected. It may not seem to related but it's possible your battery gave up. Can you jump start it? Can you bump start it?
Thank you for the advice, I have checked the battery and all connections. I had a buddy double check everything also and we both confirmed everything was connected properly. I connected a jumper box to the starter and confirmed it works. When I test the wiring going to the starter is where I am missing power. The positive and ground connections are good it’s the wire that engages the starter that isn’t getting any readings. I’m not sure what it could be

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Are there any harnesses that may have been pinched?

OP
S

Steel 7

City
Chico
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #5
None that we can find. All wiring went back to the original location it came from and secured back like factory.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1671065595214.png

As long as you have the proper key, and its battery is good.

All the wires for the Clutch and Brake are properly installed.

You might get a message in the console Display - To Start Press Clutch or Press Brake

What is the Console and its weird hex-alphanumeric - telling you?

The Starter "engages" when that Yellow wire gets grounded, IGN and START are from the Key - and supply power for the PCM module to "ground" that wire and start - thru F10 that relay and the Keyswitch is thru F1 - 15A fuse
1671066287031.png

So if all the wiring is good, and the PCM grounds are correctly installed and all the connectors are "seated" - then it should start or at least crank - the Solenoid takes care of the rest, solenoid puts power into the starter motor off the Battery's Alt(Charger) and Starter post - with it's main 450 A fuse.

OP
S

Steel 7

City
Chico
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #8
Update:
I have spoken to a mechanic and was told that it sounds like the ignition switch. I am waiting for that to come in and will switch them out and send the verdict.

OP
S

Steel 7

City
Chico
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #9
So…we changed out the ignition switch, relay fuses, and still can’t get it to work. I am taking it in for a professional to figure out. I will let you know what the final verdict is.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Remember this is a 2011 Fiesta, and with an OEM original Wiring harness - and if you had issues with the system before this starter issue, - the problems you have now might not get resolved unless a continuity check is done on the wiring harness - including the harness UNDER the battery tray.

So, if you have had a leaky battery or older damaged battery in the tray - it can leave a trail of battery acid that leaked into that harness - doing a lot of damage in the process.

This may be a simple open wire - but a continuity check has to be performed to verify the wiring makes contact at all the points it routes and connects to.

To help, that Starter inhibit relay is the one that engages the SOLENOID of the starter.

You say you verified the starter does work, but does the plunger engage? That is the job of the Solenoid - it has a plunger that works as a piston to press the spring down and engage the starter gear that rotates off the shaft of the starter. That gear gets pressed onto the flywheel's teeth.

So, you're not getting a CRANK signal? Yet, you did have one earlier - now you're thinking it's the IGN switch.

Ok, So you're not seeing a display of the messages I asked you about earlier, it is my fear that when you worked on the Clutch and transmission there may have been a wire to the solenoid - or on the starter itself, that got damaged or pinched in the housing and now the fuse is blown, or the wire when it got pinched, shorted out and blew internally like a fusible link and that wire will have to be replaced or somehow that pinch point and the blown portion - will have to be patched with new wire.

To help find that - is a lot like a needle in a haystack - sometimes, you can find it right away, other times - you'll take a long time in what seems like a fruitless, pointless search.

Well, to help, look at it from the standpoint of what is getting power from where - you know you have KEY for you have Ignition...

But, does the Dash light up all those ICONs in the START position?

IF not, then look at post 7's graphics - see that Blue wire? Heads off to the PODS on the Dash, that means the IGN and START are forcing those ICON (Idiot Lights) on - by putting power into that wire.

So, if IGN shows the LIGHTS, great, but does START do this too?

Then the White-Green wire by default, would also force a display message (Audio Control Module ACM) - your - PRESS CLUTCH or PRESS CLUTCH AND BRAKE - to START.

White Green wire heads to power the Relay in the Engine compartment from START. (Hot only in Start)

So the above might help provide your mechanic a route to take to trace and track down those wiring issues.

If you don't get these colors on your TV set...

If no lights to the Dash, that Blue-white wire is damaged or open or not seated.

The Yellow wire grounds at the PCM - forced when the PCM sees NEUTRAL or PARK or CLUTCH switch - being engaged - clearing the Wait condition until you do this - in the message display.

So locate the big Junction Box in the engine compartment and look for that starter relay - and trace that set of contacts to do a continuity check to the PCM, battery and the IGNITION switch and its harness to see if the wire is still good.

Last edited: