Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

What to Know Before Buying

City
Columbia
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta Hatchback
Hello everyone!
I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Fiesta Hatchback. I was wondering if there is anything I should knoe about this car before I completenmy purchase?? I would love input from people who have had this vehicle for a while now. Thanks!

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
The 5 speed manual is much better than the DCT automatic by far. I don't know anyone who hasn't had to go back to the dealer on that one.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
+1 on the manual. The automatics tend to be a weak point. Get the 5 speed and you won't have any worries.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Hello everyone!
I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Fiesta Hatchback. I was wondering if there is anything I should knoe about this car before I completenmy purchase?? I would love input from people who have had this vehicle for a while now. Thanks!
Look for rust...it is definitely an issue with Fiestas; check around the roof antenna, lower sills, etc. I have a DCT and have no issues with it..because I know it has limitations. It's not an automatic, so you have not drive it like one. It's a gearbox with dual-clutch, computer-shifting.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have driven several (more than six) DPS6 Fiesta's at various times since the issues became known and changes were made as the effort to address the shifting behavior and subsequent material spec changes to the clutch packs and seals in concert with the several software updates that involve the learning strategies of the controller.
I have driven a couple of the early cars that got new clutch packs, seals and software updates.
My impression, and the owners concurred, that the software updates got the behavior under better control, as in less hunting for a gear under steady cruising or hanging up in a gear under hard acceleration. The chatter and slippage and subsequent neutral defaults when the clutches became overheated were a result of the confluence of the original poor learning strategies, inadequate seal material spec and clutch material spec that might have been adequate had the learning strategies been more complete.
It is a complex mix of factors that acted in concert to create this problem. One interesting thing that I observed is that two of the owners of early Fiesta Powershift that had very few issues, beyond the seal leaks, was that they were highly experienced manual transmission drivers. Their foot behaviors were NOT tentative, they were deliberate! When you drive a manual transmission, you behavior is deliberate. If you waffle or feather the throttle and clutch you are either stalling the engine or frying the clutch.
The most noticeable 'normal' behavior is the jerky hesitation when in reverse. That is a "tell" that the controller is gauging the demand from the throttle and trying to feather the engagement.
I believe that the later updates and rebuilds are most probably adequate for the Fiesta. The same cannot be said for the Powershift installed in the Focus. That chassis is heavier and the engine is more powerful. I have family members who have the Focus Powershift and the learning strategies issues are still felt.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
It is a complex mix of factors that acted in concert to create this problem. One interesting thing that I observed is that two of the owners of early Fiesta Powershift that had very few issues, beyond the seal leaks, was that they were highly experienced manual transmission drivers. Their foot behaviors were NOT tentative, they were deliberate! When you drive a manual transmission, you behavior is deliberate. If you waffle or feather the throttle and clutch you are either stalling the engine or frying the clutch.
Interesting, because as a 3-on-the-tree, clutch, in driver's ed until 5 years ago, I know I drive way different on an auto than everyone I know who drives autos. They swim around the throttle pedal and I call it tentative, as well. With a clutch, you gotta have some faith and initiative to make things happen. Interesting observation, scotman.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It's definitely rooted in behavior. Many of us who drive both stick and auto have modified our driving style in regards to how we use our left foot.
Even the 'relearning process' the dealership techs employ is an aggressive process. Customers who complain about the shifting behavior often have the issue temporarily resolved after a tech performs the relearning process of hard acceleration in a straight line!
There is so much internal inertia on these gearboxes that the tentative throttle foot behaviors act to unlearn the controller.
So, the old saying that you should drive it like you stole it, might be just the prescription for the best functionality from this transaxle.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, a lot of users focus on the drivability, which is one very MAJOR selling point - does it Get You From Point A to Point B?

Some look at efficiency, some look at performance - others, well...just wade along to get thru the traffic applying the best methods they know how to - meaning a trade from performance and handling to the efficiency and ease of use.

I drive a stick - so my efforts are more of matching the drivers around you for speed and check up on distance between you and those other drivers.

You always have one or two chasing tail - but you'll hold your own when it comes to keeping up with the pack.

It's the interior that may make you want to reconsider if the Used got trashed or the original owner got tired of having the shop fix trim or if you find broken hardware, then you may want to skip the rest of the buyer incentive meeting and just go to another lot and look for something more substantial.

Put the thing in "test mode" by (if they'll let you)
1613605482485.png

This is a transparent way to see how the former owner took care of the vehicle or not, this diagnostic mode can help you in making a final decision in both how well the gauges track the Displayed data (analog vs Digital realm) as well as various other features...

I'll share more in the next post to help you...