Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

WD 40 ?

City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE Ford Fiest 4 door Hatchback
Can I spray WD 40 on the brake pads or drum brakes on 2013 ford Fiesta my front brake pads have been replaced twice and so it's either the drum brakes 1st or the brake pads would be my last guess on why it is squeaking. Thanks.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Not having any pictures makes it tough to get a good idea of what is going on there. But i say No on WD 40 on your brakes!!!!!!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
NEVER use WD40 on brake pads - WD 40 is a lubricant and if will affect braking.

Certainly, you're not serious!?

You disassemble the brake - take out the pads, remove them from the Caliper.

Clean off the Calipers of brake dust and dirt from the miles it traveled so you can inspect.,

And during reassembly - using new pads, use a anti-squeal lubricant on the CONTACT point of where the BACK of the pad, goes into the Calipers' Cradle -those fingers of the caliper hold the pad, that is where you use the lubricant.

1658142647962.png

IF you do the job right - only the BACKS of the pads and the cradle of the Caliper, get the grease to reduce the shake caused by the pads that makes this squeal.

To understand the squeal is to think about it like Fingers on Chalkboard. Rub it just right with enough force, you'll make that shrill noise - so to the grease the backs of the pads help them "dampen" the effect and allow the PAD to track the surface of the rotor more closely without excessive displacement or shake (The rubbing effect is the strumming of the pads against the rotor)

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Nice exploded diagram. It's even specific to the Fiesta!

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
WD-40 isn't even a good lubricant. It might make some fun smoke and even flames if the rotors got hot enough, quickly enough!
I've found that the pads need regular cleaning and the steel tension plates need dabs of brake grease on the contact points as they begin to squeak after a couple months of city driving.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Interesting thing about those pads (or any of the Front Caliper types really) they have a "wear indicator" that shows the depth of the groove - when they are new - then the pads wear down, that groove gets shallower.

Pretty soon it's gone - then the media the pad is, is all that is left.

So when you compare ... the newer the pad, the stronger (deeper) the groove is and so is its media - that actual brake material.
1658188187991.png

It's when those pads are flat and no groove left in them, should they be changed or even messed with.

You can review them by not even removing the caliper, but if the wheel is off, why not look them over?

Look for Even wear on both halves - one wearing more than the other? Then should you start to worry.
1658188477574.png

This guy gives you a step by step of how to do this...
Ford-Fiesta-Front-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide-001 (paulstravelpictures.com)
https://www.paulstravelpictures.com...a-Front-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide-001.html