Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Vibration at about 40-45 Miles per hour

techfixes

City
The Range
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2009 WS Hatchback 1.6L Duratec
My 2009 Fiesta has a vibration which seems to be getting worse.

I jacked up the car so both front wheels were free. Doesn't seem to be any sign of loose steering / ball joints, bearings seem fine, very little play in CV joints (there's no clicking when on extreme lock either).

While the car was chocked up I revved it up to 40-45 Miles per hour and the same quite pronounced vibration is there even without the wheels on the ground.

I'm thinking maybe wheel balance, but the vibration seems a bit severe. Took it on the highway today and it's vibrating a lot at highway speeds too (60+ Miles per hour).

I originally thought it was an engine problem as the engine was very "collicky" and bucked and stuttered a lot, but I solved that - new spark plugs to replace the fakes and cleaned the idle control valve. Engine perfectly smooth now.

Specs are: FORD FIESTA WS 1.6L Duratec HXJA DOHC 16v MPFI 4cyl 88kW 5dr Hatchback 5sp Man FWD [01/08 - 12/11]

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would move the front wheels to the rear and rear wheels onto the front. See what you feel then. As a rule, most tire balance issues can be isolated by rotating their positions. You could have a broken belt in a tire which is not visible. If you have vibration through the seat frame, you know that one of those tires is bad. If you feel vibration through the steering wheel, then you have a problem in the driveline. Keep us updated on your findings!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, next time it's up there...the front wheels.

Can you place it in gear, let someone else turn the steering wheel whiel you watch those axles?

The vibration can also arrive from an axle CV joint - which then you'd hear underneath as a ticking sound or a rolling noise and see those axles bounce - or at least one of them.

You can also use the turning of the wheel to develop a "straightline" to help you diagnose the rim, see if it's bent or if you have a broken tread or inner wire for the radial support that broke and now the tire wobbles.

I'm sure you've seen this...

Tire Tread Runout
1675125322773.png

They use a machine that draws a line on the tire thread as it rolls.

1675125384252.png

You may see them on new tires to verify to QC (Quality Control or Assurance) that the mold that formed the tread on this carcass was properly done and the tire has been checked for tracking straight.

They also can so this at a tire shop to help the customer see the tread tracking. Any aberrations show up as a drift or divot to help the tire get diagnosed and or replaced under warranty if needed.