Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Transmission

City
gainesville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2006 Jeep Commander
So I have been searching all over about the Fords looking for a automatic transmission. Does the ford fiesta hatchback come in automatic transmission and if so what years. If not, what cars with the similar body shape have automatic transmission and what years. Thanks so much!!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You must have been stranded on a desert island! The powershift automatic transmission has been literally the ONLY Fiesta related news item for the last five years. The ones prior to 2013 are to be avoided unless they have been replaced after mid 2016. The last two upgrades seem to have resolved the shudder and default limp mode issues.
Anecdotal experience leads many to believe that this transaxle prefers to be driven a bit more aggressively. It really doesn't like drivers with a tentative throttle foot. Just drive it like you are in a little bit of a hurry. It seems to like that style of use.

OP
C
City
gainesville
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2006 Jeep Commander
Thread Starter #3
You must have been stranded on a desert island! The powershift automatic transmission has been literally the ONLY Fiesta related news item for the last five years. The ones prior to 2013 are to be avoided unless they have been replaced after mid 2016. The last two upgrades seem to have resolved the shudder and default limp mode issues.
Anecdotal experience leads many to believe that this transaxle prefers to be driven a bit more aggressively. It really doesn't like drivers with a tentative throttle foot. Just drive it like you are in a little bit of a hurry. It seems to like that style of use.
could you put that in dumb kid words lmao. also so the ford focus rs, st, ford fiesta st are all manual and the ford fiesta se hatchback is automatic?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
No. MOST basic Fiesta's are ordered with automatic transmission. Because very few non enthusiast buyers are either capable or willing to drive a manual transmission. Fiesta ST is only available with a manual transmission. It is a niche market product.
The basic Fiesta is predominantly sold with the DPS-6 , dual clutch transmission.
There are some buyers who would have preferred a non turbo Fiesta model that had a more performance oriented manual gear set. A "Club sport package" some might call it.
Ford decided instead to lock the engine controller, offer a fuel economy gear set in it's manual trans Fiesta's and just let the "chips fall where they may".
It's ironic that ford could have offered a true "sport package" on the basic Fiesta and actually charged for it and made money! Instead they offered an unproven automatic option for $1,000 that shortly after sales began, started having problems that cost hundreds of millions! The whole fiasco was a textbook case on how to double and even tripple down on failure.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
The Fiesta has a bad reputation due to the automatics. They aren't exactly like a regular automatic, and most people don't understand that. There were lots of problems with them and it cost Ford a fortune. http://fordtransmissionsettlement.com/

The manual transmission cars don't have those problems, and they're reliable. I'd recommend a manual car, unless there's some physical reason you can't drive one. It's easy to learn if you don't know how.