Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Trans Range Sensor? please help!

Jeney

City
Windsor
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta SE
***I have read all the “stuck in park” threads***

My 2013 Fiesta (automatic trans) has the following symptoms.
  • Stuck in park
  • Display says it’s not in park
  • Won’t start because it thinks it’s not in park
  • Brake pedal doesn’t push down hardly at all when this happens
  • Brake lights still work
  • When I manually released the shifter to get it into neutral, it still didn’t start
  • Intermittent issue
It seems like there are so many things it could be! Wondering if it could be the transmission range sensor? (Would be great if it’s that simple!)

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Have you tried to reset your Fiesta by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery? Let the car rest with no power for a few minutes and then reconnect. What effect does that have? You might need to do some cleaning of your ground connections under the battery and the transmission case,as well as having a “load test” performed on the battery.

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
In a 2013, you still have the vehicle that is NOT keyless start (the button) instead it has - Key in the Ignition?

Then the "can't remove the key unless the thing is in Park"

And if you were able to remove the key.

Means the issue of the range switch - and the column that holds the key and the mechanism that uses the shifter - a linkage - that then moves a clip/tab combination in the key housing to release - letting it turn all the way to Off and releases the key so you can take it out - even that tumbler that the key moves in, could be damaged.

This "stuck in Park" problem is really a cascade condition. The shifter has to move a lever - to operate a linkage, so the Key once in the tumbler is turned from "Off" - is now locked in - and to remove the key - the shift lever has to physically move a linkage to release a tab that lets you remove the key.

You said this...
Brake pedal doesn’t push down hardly at all when this happens
Ford did various combinations of that tab, up to and including using a relay to move a solenoid that unlocks the shifter "release" lever - so be ready when you take apart the shifter and the steering column - to look for the ways that Ford did use up theft resistant lockout hardware using shifter linkage so you can remove the key is part of this method - find what they used - so you can fix it. This is a de-evolving of what Ford/GM/Chrysler used to have to have in the vehicles. As it was a steering wheel lock that keeps the wheel locked when the key is removed - back in 2004 GM got sued over this - so all the makers had to remove that lockout. Your (everyone else included) vehicle now had all these orphaned parts. In Ford's way of using up parts that it won't need anymore that it wanted to use up and not throw away - used these parts in various ways to use up the inventory.

• Your stiff brake pedal is a strong clue to this - the linkage needed to release the Park lever uses the Brake pedal - one of the switches - so one of those switches can be faulty - sticking out - jammed - keeps the brake pedal from going all the way back to retraced resting spot.
  • So the valve that the brake booster uses to close and apply vacuum to power assist the brakes - is left open and so it leaks air in - after enough time - there's no vacuum, so the pedal feels dead. That means all the vacuum boost it once has is gone and the brakes are "manual" the pedal is resting on the Master cylinder pushrod with not boost in vacuum to assist the pedal to move further down.
  • The booster vacuum is a restriction port - and the valve - to keep people from over applying the brakes to prevent wheel lockup and accidents - the valve is a small port to let air in The pedal, when pressed, lets the valve open the port, air goes in, and the vacuum chamber pressure differences are what applies the extra downward force of pressure to apply the brakes - you feel the effect in the pedal as it travels.

You don't have to take my word for it, you'll find you'll have to remove the steering wheel, the shifter cover in the console and all the trim to expose the key tumbler - the linkage and follow it to the Shifter, thru the center console - to locate the method of either physical link to clip to tab - or they used a relay - solenoid combination..

Once you understand that - the issue of trying to locate where NEUTRAL is, or the TCM switch that follows the linkage of the shifter then becomes more clear.

IT's the YEAR that is was made, the switch could be fine, the physical aspects and design and materials used to operate the switch - might not be.

The whole mess above - is a reminder to me, of why I switched to Manuals.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jeney

City
Windsor
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #4
The key turns all the way and doesn’t get stuck at all; the shifter gets stuck in Park, though the car thinks it’s not in park. Ugh!

OP
J

Jeney

City
Windsor
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #5
Have you tried to reset your Fiesta by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery? Let the car rest with no power for a few minutes and then reconnect. What effect does that have? You might need to do some cleaning of your ground connections under the battery and the transmission case,as well as having a “load test” performed on the battery.
I’ll try that next!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The key turns all the way and doesn’t get stuck at all; the shifter gets stuck in Park, though the car thinks it’s not in park. Ugh!
When you can put the shifter in NETURAL and remove the key, then the linkage and the shifter has the problem.

You're not supposed to be able to turn the key to off and remove it when it's in Neutral.

So that means you need to check the display. The one in the pods. This helps to isolate the problem.

When you first turn the key to ON that display will show ODO and Eng TEMP comes up - but does it show the P in park?

Then when you can move the shifter - does that value change from P R N D L and back as you move the shifter?

That communication has to occur - if it does, then the issue is a physical lockout condition. The TCM is seeing the changes, you just have to find the break in the Starter Circuit - that means disassembly of the Steering Column and or Shifter itself to find the switch. In some that switch was back at the Key/Turn signal/Wiper switch assembly, others were on the Shifter.

I'll try to help you track this down - for currently I'm using a '13 Fiesta S in our Fleet that is AUTO - and uses the Display to show what gear it's in per the Shifter. They KEY will not come out when the Key is turned to OFF and the Shifter is in Neutral or any GEAR except PARK. I Have to turn the Key back to ON, Move the Shifter to PARK - so I can turn off the car and remove the key when I need to PARK it - even in REVERSE it won't let me take out the Key - it has to be in PARK..