Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Surprising Reasons Ford Will Be Successful In A World of Electric Vehicles

Ian Mat

City
Mexico City
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta SEL
Many news outlets and Tesla fanboys have declared that Ford is dead already but too stupid to know it. I think that is nutty see:

I have always maintained that while EV's will take over the consumer market within 15 years, it is so huge that many companies will be successful. That likely includes Ford, GM, Mercedes, and many other so called legacy car builders.

What do you think? Is Ford toast in 10 years or will they still be a power house (pun intended!)

OP
I

Ian Mat

City
Mexico City
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta SEL
Thread Starter #2
Ford has not be around for 100 years because they don't know what they are doing. Mistakes... lots of them... and some big ones, but I think they are on the right track here and that Trucks are a natural for electrification.

see: https://www.partisanissues.com/2018...o-ditch-their-gas-diesel-engine-for-electric/

but electrification for real trucks is likely to be in the form of hydrogen, not battery electric.

see:

Battery Electric = gas
Hydrogen = diesel

Thoughts?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are at least a decade away from even being introduced into public availability. There is no distribution system and no generation and storage systems in place. Not locally. Not regionally. And not nationally. In any nation. Anywhere.
Im not saying that the technology doesn't work. Honda in Ann Arbor. Had the fully functional prototype hydrogen fuel cell vehicle in town for a demonstration at the U of M.
The equipment and processes it required to just fuel the one car with hydrogen, took a forty foot semi trailer with the hydrogen generation and drying equipment and then another large tank trailer to hold the fuel.
CNG or propane is a more viable alternative for fleet vehicles. But, our government has decided that natural gas is evil because it is often discovered along with oil.
Ford needs to get with the program on development of their own proprietary silicon chips. If they can't begin to develop the most basic features that differentiate them in the market, they are fair game for either a takeover or oblivion.