Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Replacing sway bar link ?

City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE Ford Fiest 4 door Hatchback
Hello I am trying to replace my sway bar link because I had just replaced my very old strut with a new strut but when I have the sway bar link the top does not line up with it's home/ hole I have heard that jacking up the control arm will fix this so is this correct will jacking up the control arm make my sway bar link line up better ? Thanks.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
If the link is "short" to the strut, and you know the strut matches (is correct) to the OEM in dimensions - then a simple re-lift of the control arm to help align the link to fit the hole would work.

Remember too, the sway arm, is still bolted to the other wheel and strut, so that needs to be more "level" with both sides to help the link match to the height of the hole.

But to help in the SAFETY - the height it is at - you can install the wheel briefly with the lug nuts to hold it to the hub to help support the knuckle and brake caliper while you lower the car using the jack to support the weight but let the wheel "lift" the strut, so you can pop it into the hole and place the nut to hold it - then re-lift the car, remove the wheel to get your room to work back, and tighten the link nut as possible.