Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Pulling my hair out..!

Smudge

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
BMW, Fiesta, Focus
Hi all,

Got some 16's for the Fiesta to fit over the ST170 discs and Mondy calipers, but they touch so got some small (5mm) spacers and they work a treat.

I decided I would be happier with longer studs and therein lies the problem.

I bought a set of longer M12 x 1.5mm studs 13.1mm spline.
Removed an old stud and tried to Wang in a new one with my ugga dugga gun.. felt very tight so backed it out and it seemed ro be stripping the splines out.

Measured the old stud and and the splines seemed to be 12.8mm which is very odd as everywhere I've looked state's 13.1mm for Fiestas

Can anyone please shed any light on this?

Thanks guys.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hi all,

Got some 16's for the Fiesta to fit over the ST170 discs and Mondy calipers, but they touch so got some small (5mm) spacers and they work a treat.

I decided I would be happier with longer studs and therein lies the problem.

I bought a set of longer M12 x 1.5mm studs 13.1mm spline.
Removed an old stud and tried to Wang in a new one with my ugga dugga gun.. felt very tight so backed it out and it seemed ro be stripping the splines out.

Measured the old stud and and the splines seemed to be 12.8mm which is very odd as everywhere I've looked state's 13.1mm for Fiestas

Can anyone please shed any light on this?

Thanks guys.
How are you measuring the wheel stud? I am getting 12.5mm diameter shank. North American Fiesta May be different. But, must agree that longer cannot be a bad thing.
I would take an original stud and go to a reputable parts store and have them dig up some longer ones by spec. Not direct application. Because, longer studs are not an original item. You would probably want to get new “open”wheel nuts at the same time, if you don’t have them already. C41CD66B-62B0-4C80-B594-1260D022116B.jpeg

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
It's odd to see this, but not uncommon for mixed studs with splines of different shank "ferrule" - but usually they go the opposite side - way bigger (or *SNAP* - sigh...)...Don't worry, you're not the only one to find - "I though they made sure..." only to find out "They" didn't - and of course you have to open the package and break a seal - thereby voiding the return refund, only now to be forced to "Exchange" - good luck - I've had my share of fun on this...

So, to see the 12.8 - looks like more of a "Pandemic Pathogen" - one part of several in a lot gets past QC - and out the door and into your hands.

Before you go about trying to ream it a new hole...(ahemn)

How does the spline/to/hub scenario - the other three "size out" ok? Does this "odd one out" just have a rusted seat due to some other defect? It's a 2016 - so it should be consistent (I hope) all the way around - else we'd have a much bigger problem with "odd stud sizing" showing up - similar to mixing Left-handed threading on a Right-handed wheel...

We've seen it here in the States too, so the occasional mis-sizing does happen - even if the person had to go fetch a part from a different bin - looks like and feels like doesn't mean - "It's like" - needs to be visuals too,

You should see some of the mispackaging we get...Fine Thread mixed with Coarse - Metrics with SAE's - all the time - so we re-thread "check" thru a sizing gauge to verify the fitment.

Hardware stores have to fix their Nut and Bolts bins on a regular basis else they be in a far bigger mess...

OP
S

Smudge

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
BMW, Fiesta, Focus
Thread Starter #4
Thanks to all..

So, i got so cheesed off with this that in the end i got my 1/2" Ingersoll Rand windy gun and a thick ally spacer (drilled out to 14mm) and went round and literally dragged each stud through after first putting the studs in the freezer for a couple of days (used a full tank of air per stud) but theyre in and things of beauty.. I suspect they really arent the size though as it took some proper work to get them in.

Next problem was i have a new set of Firestone 15" tyres on standard wheels that ideally i wanted to use instead of the 16's but they touched the brakes, so i bought a cheap set of the Mondeo/Puma Black edition wheels as they have a smaller offset and clear the spokes without spacers.. But, 2 of them turned out to be flatspotted when i tok them for powdercoating. so now i'm trying to find another pair to match. doesnt really matter as the existing rears will fit over the rear drums with a 10mm spacer (as i now have the stud length)

Its all part of the fun but not when someone tells you the wheels are straight and true and they arent.. I picked them up from a scrappers in Brum and it was the roughest most dangerous place ive ever been with blokes stood around a chopped up 5' calourgas bottle throwing diesel on it..

not the sort of place i want to go back asking for a refund. :oops:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Fully understand. Here in the States, the wrecking yards closest to urban areas are more organized and expensive than the more rural yards. The downside of the backwoods yards are mud and often unorganized inventory. The higher the price, the more forgiving the return policy is in most cases.
I took an American Racing torque thrust D wheel that was pot hole dented on my old Mustang and bolted it onto the wall to serve as a place to loosely coil air hose. It’s much more attractive than a steel hook.
I thought it might also work as a shop stool if I removed the center cap and could mount it face up on a stool base then epoxy glue a thick piece of clear plexiglass cut to fit the inside lip of the wheel.
I hate throwing out something that is still beautiful to look at.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Audio-Video, Sync & Electronics 3