Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Planning to buy '11 Fiesta SE

City
Sonoma
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
not sure yet
Ive been looking at a 2011 ford fiesta SE 5-speed with 75k miles, is there anything mechnically I should be checking out to make sure everything is sound before the purchase? I am not familiar with these specific vehicles, but have been a mechnic for 20+ years. Thanks

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forum. Generally speaking. If it has Sync the final update would have happened about three years ago. It would pay to go into the vehicle menu and see what level of software updates it has.
If it has been on the coast you will want to look very closely at the underhood fuse box and if there is much "white powdery" evidence of corrosion in that area. You also might want to wiggle the harness under the box and observe if any white powder falls out of the underside of the box.
Other than output shaft seals that cost $8 holding in over $50 in synthetic gear oil. The stick 1.6 Fiesta is a very low drama proposition.

OP
H
City
Sonoma
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
not sure yet
Thread Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Generally speaking. If it has Sync the final update would have happened about three years ago. It would pay to go into the vehicle menu and see what level of software updates it has.
If it has been on the coast you will want to look very closely at the underhood fuse box and if there is much "white powdery" evidence of corrosion in that area. You also might want to wiggle the harness under the box and observe if any white powder falls out of the underside of the box.
Other than output shaft seals that cost $8 holding in over $50 in synthetic gear oil. The stick 1.6 Fiesta is a very low drama proposition.
Thanks for the excellent info. Is sync updatable via a USB if its an older version? Also if there is corrosion in the fuse box, are newer style fuse boxes sold to correct the problem?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You should go to www.syncmyride.com. i believe that the updates ,if still available, can be put on a thumb drive from there.
On the fuse box issue, there was a service bulletin about the problem. I understand that owners who lived in certain areas got some help with the issue. It only pertains to the 2011 and maybe 2012 years. A change was done after that.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Good to know, Ill cross my fingers on the fuse box being OK.
While you're at it, check the grounds. I'm sure they're clean, but you never know. This car is sensitive to current, especially the autos.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
To only add - most of the concerns would be with the vehicles Electrical system So if it's the original battery - then think about replacing that and even cleaning up the "RED TERMINAL" block on the positive post side of the battery as well.

It would be nice to know if there was any service done to the engine - I would be concerned during driving - if the vehicle can be shifted smoothly and unencumbered by a feel or sounds heard during, in operating the clutch. Any erratic operation - grabbing, noise or otherwise a difficult moment during ANY time the clutch is engaged to reengaging the driveline by releasing the clutch. In traffic and even while parked - engage and disengage the clutch and feel and listen - any hiccups or glitches needs to add your list of "don't" because if the clutch or the throw-out bearing and or clutch plate/flywheel grabs might indicate a leak or possibly some corrosion and excessive wear within the system requiring a change - meaning it will be put up on a hoist and someone will have to fix the transmission or any section of the driveline.

Oil leaks also are a signal of wear and potential abuse - leaking seals at 75K miles means it's had some hard life - so that might force you to find it some service sooner that you'd expect - you only have 25,000 miles before some recommended service must be performed else risk further damages.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Not to sound like im harping on it.(ok, i am). But the coolant reservoir is on my top five hit list. If it looks yellowed, get rid of it! It's a time bomb.

Lbrocato

City
Pasadena
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta Se
The car sits low to the ground . so that beening sayed check the fuel door to sure it closeing and opening correctly. if not closing correct or u see dirt around the capless fuel neck dont buy it . Dirt may have goten inside gas tank or even made it to engine . also snice it low some of the underside may have started to rust . If it a little rust it ok but if it alot it no good. u can undercoat the under side to keep it from rusting any more.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Thanks for the excellent info. Is sync updatable via a USB if its an older version? Also if there is corrosion in the fuse box, are newer style fuse boxes sold to correct the problem?
Older SYNC is not upgradable. My 2015 isn't upgradeable. Took me like 10 tries before I found that out.

Last edited: