Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I messed up shifting today. Question about the front grill of the ST.

Event ST

Wow... what a first post, huh? I've noticed that this forum has a lot of people knowledgeable about the Fiesta ST, so I hope you all can help me figure out a problem that I had earlier today.

While driving home from work, I accidentally shifted to 3rd when I meant to shift to 5th. I was probably going about... 45 to 50 mph? Anyway, there was a BIG bang/lurch in the engine, and I almost cried on the inside. But it was my fault, and I accept that.

The car drove fine on the way home, but when I looked at it afterwards, I noticed something strange. I feel like a piece fell out of place in my front grill. I'm honestly not sure how to describe it. I feel like it's... pushed back? Maybe I never payed close attention, but I feel like the radiator is farther back then it used to be. I can now see a black bar, but maybe I always ignored it before. I feel like there was something that used to be there that may have moved.

I attached pics to show what my car looks like. Does it look normal to all of you?

Is there anything in particular that I should be concerned about? I will freely admit that my knowledge of cars does not go far beyond driving them, and I'm hoping that you fine folks will be able to help me understand anything might be amiss... besides my poor driving and lack of car knowledge.

I truly appreciate any insight, and thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

I dont see anything out of place. You probably just heard the engine hitting the fire wall. People have mentioned this happens on occasion, which is why an aftermarket rear motor mount is such a popular mod.

OP
E

Event ST

Thread Starter #3
I appreciate the response! The only thing that stuck out to me was that I always thought the radiator was closer to the grill when I looked at it previously. So that's what had me worried.

It could be that I just am not remembering correctly.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Looks normal to me. And unlikely a miss shift to 3rd will do much damage unless you were redline in 4th. The thump was likely the engine moving and clunking in its mount. Here is my bumper (and intercooler ) off.

IMG-20150828-00261.jpg
IMG-20150828-00260.jpg

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I dont see anything out of place. You probably just heard the engine hitting the fire wall. People have mentioned this happens on occasion, which is why an aftermarket rear motor mount is such a popular mod.
Engines can't hit the firewall. At most the RMM bottoms out on itself.

As others have mentioned, 50 mph in third is fine. The lurch you're feeling was due to not bringing the engine up to speed (because you didn't intend on doing out), so when you let the clutch out the transmission had to. You can intentionally downshift to third at 50 mph and if you rev-match it will feel pretty normal.

As others have mentioned, 50 mph in third is fine. The lurch you're feeling was due to not bringing the engine up to speed (because you didn't intend on doing out), so when you let the clutch out the transmission had to. You can intentionally downshift to third at 50 mph and if you rev-match it will feel pretty normal.
Whatever. I dont know shit about shit.

Boro

So what causes the whacking sound a lot of people complain of with aggressive sort of shifting? I had read it was the engine too. [dunno]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
So what causes the whacking sound a lot of people complain of with aggressive sort of shifting? I had read it was the engine too. [dunno]
If you watch this video at the beginning you can hear a thud when the stock RMM bottoms out.

[video=youtube;SfQUrLCX-MM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQUrLCX-MM[/video]

OP
E

Event ST

Thread Starter #13
LOL, thanks again everyone! Car drove fine today, obviously. I appreciate it!

I've accidentally went from 6th to 2nd when I was trying to go from 6th to 4th. I was doing about 60-65 and was trying to pass someone so I was looking to accelerate. Let the clutch out for a split second. You think you died inside... That was well over 500 miles ago and the car has shown no signs that that did anything so I think you are more than fine. After I did that I kept driving and put another probably 150-200 miles on the car during that trip and it ran like a champ during that drive.

Boro

I was unclear on what bottoming out meant for the rmm, I see now. Thanks. Nice to know it isn't actually the engine.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The RMM is attached to the transmission at one end, and to the frame at the other end. The engine moves back and forth quite a bit with the stock RMM. The passenger and driver side motor mounts allow the bottom of the engine to swing back and forth. The torque arm limits the back and forth movement to some degree. The engine is not hitting the firewall, the engine is causing the RMM to push against the fastener on the smaller side of the RMM, which causes the sleeve or tube inside the molded rubber on the big side of the RMM. When the RMM has compresses as much as it can, one hears a thunk or multiple bumping noises. Replacing the RMM with an after market one stiffens up this assembly resulting in less noises when one dumps the clutch. The part is called by Ford, a torque arm. C1BZ-6068-G.