Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Opinions for TCM replacements please

City
Concord
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 se
2012 SE

Looking for opinions on routes to get a functioning TCM

Ebay, Amazon not an option, i do not trust those through experience so far.
Should i get on the waiting list from a dealership? Are the new TCMs somehow better built than the 2012 version? Will i experience the same issues in the future?

I did find an online place that says they carry OEM in stock, I would need it programmed still. Another question, can it be programmed while not on the vehicle? Or do i need to have the car towed to the dealer to program it?

Also what are the odds of a junkyard unit, say a 2015 SE TCM would just work on my vehicle with the 2015 TCM already programmed?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The TCM has to be cloned to the vehicle ids.
Did you have a conversation with a ford service department manager about what is involved with doing a TCM change? You seem to have been floundering around for definitive answers to this issue.
If not, why?

OP
M
City
Concord
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 se
Thread Starter #3
The TCM has to be cloned to the vehicle ids.
Did you have a conversation with a ford service department manager about what is involved with doing a TCM change? You seem to have been floundering around for definitive answers to this issue.
If not, why?
umm, no. Figured id ask here first in case anyone has had luck without paying a dealer.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Since each car has a profile - a.k.a VIN - the TCM communicates to the rest of the system, Dashboard (Pods) the PCM and even the Body control module - they all need to agree.

The best way to achieve "submission" to the others and correctly profile the part to the vehicle, it starts with making the VIN code the same as the others - that way, it's a "Hello My Name Is" moment and they are all in the room together - they "fix" the new guy by talking to it and some even share stories (Data profiles) so they all are on the same page.

The TCM may have been from a Duratorque motor, or even a Ford Mustang V8 - so the TCM is going to look in its own data to "drive" - so if the VIN doesn't match, it's alien to the others and conflicts arise.

OP
M
City
Concord
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 se
Thread Starter #5
thanks andy. appreciate your reply

OP
M
City
Concord
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 se
Thread Starter #6
also, does the tcm need to be mounted on the car for programming, or can i bring one buy one without the vehicle and have the dealership program it without the car present

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
In some instances, there is enough "data" from the other sub-systems to force an unburned module (or a dumbed down one - erased the VIN) so that the VIN from the other systems can then be burned into it.

From that moment on - the system can then let the VIN code "instruct" the new module on how, and with what, will work - because the module itself being "programmed" thru its own VIN "code" - then lets the system "teach it" by developing a profile SPECIFC to that vehicle (Drive train and Engine codes are an example) so the system (that module) if similar enough can look inside its own program code (that EP- EAROM Electronically Programmable - Electronically Alterable - READ ONLY MEMORY) and know enough of how to shift itself - else it will not be able to know - and will need flashing - if the body and code types are not from the same class of vehicle - thru its VIN Code.

Look below - it's why the newer cars are such as mess...
1658678014328.png

And why places like Amazon and others that sell reman, are lousy at knowing how to get you the right part - because they don't look at the CLASS the device or module came from - just that their "What you wanted - so this is your problem" philosophy puts you in this condition instead.

KeithB

City
Warnbro
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2012 Fiesta 1.6
Anyone know how to reset the vin in the TCM to get it talking to the other nodules. Can this be done using Forscan? will a backup of the module data (from original TCM) then a restore to the new TCM work?