Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Oil in Air Filter and stuck door

evogelion

City
Renton
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Hi! So this 2011 SE has some issues.. and I'd like to know how best to approach it so I thought I'd ask some experts.

1. Rear door handle stuck. Passenger rear door will not open. Electronic switches and such has no effect. Outside handle is stuck in place.

2A. Oil on the air filter. I first noticed this when we received the car. I replaced the paper with a K&N oil'd air filter. Last time I looked there was some oil spotting on this filter (though not as heavily as the previous paper). Should I replace this filter after I fix the issue of oil being ejected into the intake?

2B. I ordered Motorcraft #FA1905 ELEMENT - FILTER as I heard that the Fiesta needs this little PCV Filter replaced every 60k miles, which its twice that now. Also read that if clogged or stuff it causes oil on the air filter, gunk, and bad MPGs. Anyone know how this is installed or what else might be needed to stop the oil on the airfilter?

3. Does a cold air intake benefit this engine? I heard that CAI's aren't always a benefit.

4. Steering wheel missing a button cover. This an easy fix or will I just have to put up with the glaring red LED peaking out from the hole? lol

Tis going to be my daily driver so I want to make sure she is healthy and able. I have a long commute to work and back so we'll be spending a lot of time together.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
You should post up a couple images of your Fiesta. A 120,000 mile fiesta is an accomplishment.
I haven't seen a seized door latch assembly. It looks like theres a pawl that rotates and pushes the latch release mechanism when the handle is tugged. On the inside there is a cable that leads to the lower point of the latch. So, these doors don't have a common release point inside the handle-latch assembly.
Does the door lock "click" or make any sound when you actuate the switch on the instrument panel?
The images below are the passenger rear door handle assembly. It is predominantly plastic and coated metal. So i can only guess that the mechanism has failed but not due to rust. Maybe seized up due to no use?
20211001_072825.jpg

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome!

2011? And a stuck handle? Ouch, it may be due to "lack of use" from a previous owner.

Passenger rear door may also be "jammed" by debris in it. Caused by a child or someone fooling around with the handle while you're away.

Doesn't always trigger an alarm - so if they fiddled with the handle trying to stick something in there to release the mechanism - as shown earlier it is not an easy task - so would be thieves or joyriders might have left it damaged and went on to something else.

I've seen a Fishing rod "stem" stuck into one of my rear doors of an earlier vehicle in time for the attempt at trying to open a door to gain access - so I'm well aware of problems with handles - that once your take the inside panel off, you might find not only the reason...

It's your PCV valve issue that gets me...you have a valve that mounts to a plate at the intake manifold that houses that valve. Works - like any other PCV valve - to take fumes from the crankcase (inside the engine) while you drive - and uses the intake manifold port - just by the MAP (MAF is towards throttle at the snorkel) which the hose should be on there - else if the hose or the valve is plugged - you might have some wrenching to do to get at the PCV valve - your line from the top of the motor to the Air intake is the breather line to suck in fresh air while the PCV valve recycles the oily fumes from the crankcase back into the intake - if the PCV valve or hose is plugged, there is no other place for these vapors to go except thru that breather tube - so if you're getting oil in it - get to the Auto store or dealer and get a new PCV valve or at least the rubber hose - the age of the vehicles the hose can crack open and suck air in instead of crankcase fumes.

You may also experience a smell from this going on - so if you do, ...
1633101143785.png
Best to investigate the hose, PCV valve behind it towards the engine
and that MAF sensor - if you have any idling or performance issues
this area can make your day...

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Some people put CAIs on these. They get more sound, but not sure about more power. There's just nothing much out there for the base engine, performance-wise.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
He might want to have a ford dealership service department check to see if the car has had the door handle tsb performed. Being an ""S" recall it doesn't have an expiration date!
I don't have any idea if that bulletin would replace the failed parts in your situation. But, it is worth looking into.

OP
evogelion

evogelion

City
Renton
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #6
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
You should post up a couple images of your Fiesta. A 120,000 mile fiesta is an accomplishment.
I haven't seen a seized door latch assembly. It looks like theres a pawl that rotates and pushes the latch release mechanism when the handle is tugged. On the inside there is a cable that leads to the lower point of the latch. So, these doors don't have a common release point inside the handle-latch assembly.
Does the door lock "click" or make any sound when you actuate the switch on the instrument panel?
The images below are the passenger rear door handle assembly. It is predominantly plastic and coated metal. So i can only guess that the mechanism has failed but not due to rust. Maybe seized up due to no use?
Ok attaching some pics. It seems I lied.. its 140k atm.

The door mechanism does click when using the electronic lock switch. When the handle is tugged, it moves halfway but no further, it's quite stiff.

Some people put CAIs on these. They get more sound, but not sure about more power. There's just nothing much out there for the base engine, performance-wise.
I don't want it for performance or sound, just mpgs lol...

He might want to have a ford dealership service department check to see if the car has had the door handle tsb performed. Being an ""S" recall it doesn't have an expiration date!
I don't have any idea if that bulletin would replace the failed parts in your situation. But, it is worth looking into.
Yeah, I'll ask tomorrow. I plan on trying to get a spare key cut tomorrow at the local dealership.

Welcome!

2011? And a stuck handle? Ouch, it may be due to "lack of use" from a previous owner.

Passenger rear door may also be "jammed" by debris in it. Caused by a child or someone fooling around with the handle while you're away.

Doesn't always trigger an alarm - so if they fiddled with the handle trying to stick something in there to release the mechanism - as shown earlier it is not an easy task - so would be thieves or joyriders might have left it damaged and went on to something else.

I've seen a Fishing rod "stem" stuck into one of my rear doors of an earlier vehicle in time for the attempt at trying to open a door to gain access - so I'm well aware of problems with handles - that once your take the inside panel off, you might find not only the reason...

It's your PCV valve issue that gets me...you have a valve that mounts to a plate at the intake manifold that houses that valve. Works - like any other PCV valve - to take fumes from the crankcase (inside the engine) while you drive - and uses the intake manifold port - just by the MAP (MAF is towards throttle at the snorkel) which the hose should be on there - else if the hose or the valve is plugged - you might have some wrenching to do to get at the PCV valve - your line from the top of the motor to the Air intake is the breather line to suck in fresh air while the PCV valve recycles the oily fumes from the crankcase back into the intake - if the PCV valve or hose is plugged, there is no other place for these vapors to go except thru that breather tube - so if you're getting oil in it - get to the Auto store or dealer and get a new PCV valve or at least the rubber hose - the age of the vehicles the hose can crack open and suck air in instead of crankcase fumes.

You may also experience a smell from this going on - so if you do, ...

Best to investigate the hose, PCV valve behind it towards the engine
and that MAF sensor - if you have any idling or performance issues
this area can make your day...
I'll definitely give this a try. There is no smell. I plan to check the pipes and clean them out if they are sludgy. The engine doesn't have sludge on its exterior, its had pretty regular oil changes. We've had it for a few years now, but the wife was planning to give it to her niece but the niece recently decided she doesn't want it so it's now ours for me to fix up. Neice would have probably kept it for a year and traded it or wrecked it so I didn't put much into the idea of trying to fixing the seemingly minor stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That's in great shape, Niece lost this one!

I hope it's just a simple hose or even simpler fix to solve that issue.

You have a rarity, the "nose" of that Fiesta shows the age, yes, but the latter models took on the "Aston Martin" look and it's headaches of stone collector...

Miles of Smiles! [driving]
[ridinghorse][cheerleader][raceflag][raceflag]