Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Oil change 1.0 ecoboost 6 months?

City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2014 fiesta 1.0 ecoboost titanium
Hi all,

Just going through the Haynes manual and while Ford say yearly oil changes Haynes is recommending 6 monthly oil/filter changes? That sounds crazy soon. Does anyone do 6 month changes or just the normal yearly?

Ta

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would have to guess that they are specifically recommending that drain interval for partially synthetic oil? I don’t know what the UK Ford oil specs are. But, I do know that engines are so expensive that I have decided that half intervals for oil changes is not very expensive in comparison to the bare minimum recommended intervals! I also drain and replace the coolant annually.
This practice has worked for me over the past twenty five years.
A year supply of the best fully synthetic motor oil like Castrol Syntec or Mobil one will not cost you as much as two hours of shop labor costs!
For peace of mind, I change the coolant reservoir on my Fiesta after three years of service, sooner if the reservoir turns yellow.They are not expensive and they don’t age well. When it bursts,the coolant will be lost in less than a minute and your engine will begin overheating. Our engines run hot. Loss of the coolant is quick death.
It also pays you big dividends to inspect the drive axle seals that are pressed into the gearbox case. When they fail, and they do, the synthetic gear oil that lubricates and cools the gearbox will leak out. The gear oil is fairly expensive but the seals are not expensive at all. That’s more information than what you asked for. But, it’s what I have found that works for me.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Think about your engine - it's a 1.0L - not a V6 - and it has 3 cylinders - not 6 nor 8 - not 4 either.

The oil has to endure the smaller housing - requiring higher revving needs to develop torque - so that puts special consideration for the oil requirement.

I'm surprised you asked - and "Crazy soon" comment - I would change it by bi-annual (6 month) not just once a year.

I wouldn't wait - this thing has a turbo in it. IF you need to do a lot of acceleration to get to where you need to be, then I'd change it sooner - like every three months.

You're posting in a forum that is about taking care of your vehicle and talking to a guy that feels he's done the motor a disservice by waiting to change his own for 6 months.

Now granted the oil formulations have gotten better - but the fuels for them have gone a different direction and will continue to do so - so you're considerations for the deposits left in the engine that get picked up and suspended in the oil - no matter the drive or lengths of drive in km - you will need to change the oil to preserve the condition of the motor - else the lifetime of the motor neglecting these factors - is much shorter and costlier in maintenance.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
I would have to guess that they are specifically recommending that drain interval for partially synthetic oil? I don’t know what the UK Ford oil specs are. But, I do know that engines are so expensive that I have decided that half intervals for oil changes is not very expensive in comparison to the bare minimum recommended intervals! I also drain and replace the coolant annually.
This practice has worked for me over the past twenty five years.
A year supply of the best fully synthetic motor oil like Castrol Syntec or Mobil one will not cost you as much as two hours of shop labor costs!
For peace of mind, I change the coolant reservoir on my Fiesta after three years of service, sooner if the reservoir turns yellow.They are not expensive and they don’t age well. When it bursts,the coolant will be lost in less than a minute and your engine will begin overheating. Our engines run hot. Loss of the coolant is quick death.
It also pays you big dividends to inspect the drive axle seals that are pressed into the gearbox case. When they fail, and they do, the synthetic gear oil that lubricates and cools the gearbox will leak out. The gear oil is fairly expensive but the seals are not expensive at all. That’s more information than what you asked for. But, it’s what I have found that works for me.
That’s great advice, thank you. I haven’t done my own car servicing for about 30 years so things change. I’ll add it to my list to do.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Think about your engine - it's a 1.0L - not a V6 - and it has 3 cylinders - not 6 nor 8 - not 4 either.

The oil has to endure the smaller housing - requiring higher revving needs to develop torque - so that puts special consideration for the oil requirement.

I'm surprised you asked - and "Crazy soon" comment - I would change it by bi-annual (6 month) not just once a year.

I wouldn't wait - this thing has a turbo in it. IF you need to do a lot of acceleration to get to where you need to be, then I'd change it sooner - like every three months.

You're posting in a forum that is about taking care of your vehicle and talking to a guy that feels he's done the motor a disservice by waiting to change his own for 6 months.

Now granted the oil formulations have gotten better - but the fuels for them have gone a different direction and will continue to do so - so you're considerations for the deposits left in the engine that get picked up and suspended in the oil - no matter the drive or lengths of drive in km - you will need to change the oil to preserve the condition of the motor - else the lifetime of the motor neglecting these factors - is much shorter and costlier in maintenance.
Thanks for the reply. This is a forum and people are looking for ‘friendly’ advice. In my case I haven’t serviced a car in 30 years so things change and I’ve never heard about 6 monthly oil changes before hence the question. I now know better.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The basic maintenance regimen has not changed. It just employs better quality oils and fluids than anything we could have found in the 1980’s. The key is not using inferior, cut rate lubricants, fluids and filters.
The modern Fiesta is a very maintenance friendly machine. Oil and filter changes are easy. Brake pads, shoes and hardware are not expensive or difficult to replace.
The original equipment dampers leave much to be desired from both a durability and ride quality perspective. But the aftermarket has several replacement choices that are leaps and bounds ahead of the original shocks and struts,
Overall, the Fiesta has far more positives than negatives on my personal checklist of what I like to see in a small, fuel efficient car.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
It's been discussed in other threads, but frequent oil changes are good for the turbo, and also for the the cam belt, which is lubricated by the engine oil. Keep them clean, and it'll last.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
It's been discussed in other threads, but frequent oil changes are good for the turbo, and also for the the cam belt, which is lubricated by the engine oil. Keep them clean, and it'll last.
Thanks yes, I’ve been convinced by everyone. 6 monthly changes for me.

Steve19

City
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2021 fiesta ecoboost st line
I agree with everything that's said in this post, ie 6 months oil changes, but now on new ford's they recommend every 2 year service intervals. What's that all about ?