Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

J2 exhaust

City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
Anyone running a J2 engineering exhaust?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The J2 is a nice looking system. I like the flanged connections and stainless steel construction.
The $350 to $400 price is not outrageous. I think that this system is much more likely to be found on an ST than a basic fiesta. J2-CBE-OS-063-1_400x400.jpg

OP
Rowdy09
City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
Thread Starter #6
Looks like a nice pipe for the money.
Seems to have a nice tone but not over the top loud. Now Im trying to figure out what paint to use to paint the tips black since I took all the chrome off

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
So that's the muffler part? You're getting rid of the "resonator/Collector"?

The reason I ask is, the extension pipe from the catalytic to the muffler is in two pieces.

But this caught my eye...
1648340608790.png 1648342210111.png
On the Left - the SITES Exhaust pipe size, on the right for comparison is a STOCK Fiesta SE both Throttle body bore diameter and the exhaust pipe single outlet diameter in inches and tenths.

The outlet of the standard stock Fiesta is about 25% smaller or restricted by that amount - at the muffler. This number is arrived to by comparing the bore size of the throttle body, in comparison to the outlet bore diameter at the tail pipe.

This is also not taking in any consideration from the construction offering any sort of restriction. This is just a poor mans' best guess; as sizing of the inlet and outlet pipes show where they placed emphasis on emission versus performance.

Why does this come up? Well performance and economy can't be made to meet in the same room in some instances.

So, trusting that the muffler you got, by itself, has no reducer or any sort or restriction - should do you well for performance - but fuel economy might not be the best. Not that it matters much.

I find the Fiestas' "resonator/collector" to play a role of helping the car to "jump" but once the resonator fills up to the same pressure as well as it (this backpressure) meets up towards the cat and at the exhaust manifold - this also trickles back into the intake manifolds' ability to pull air into the cylinder and also take in the fuel charge at the same time - meaning once the low end torque to air volume ratio for charge - that rate of uptake volume to capacity of the exhaust systems ability to expel it - has been used up - and now stops collecting at the resonator as it becomes full of this pressure - there is little way out for the exhaust to continue to get displaced by freshly charged intake air back at the intake manifold. So that intake air volume is reduced, and its speed slows down at the cylinder and the engine loses that torque - how quickly it can happen can surprise you.

I bought the manual 5-speed and noticed right away how quickly it falls flat in some acceleration modes; like when you need to speed up as you arrive or merge with traffic that you must match their speed for, because, they will not slow down to match yours.

It was one of the first things I noticed when I purchased the Fiesta I have now, and no, my wife doesn't want me taking it apart and changing things - so once the warranty is over though - it is mine...

But as I investigated this, every other vehicle had some trick the maker used to help it or hinder it in some form or another in performance in order to obtain a given MPG number for economy and emissions. This was the first time I've seen Ford use a restriction in the exhaust versus other makers that use EGR/intake restrictions to handle their emission/economy needs.

So you're running a straight pipe versus keeping the resonator - and looking at pipe outlet sizes, this should be a good upgrade for you - just would like to know if the resonator "delete" helps or hinders the performance you expect from this investment.

I really hope this works out for you.

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I don't think Rowdy09 expects any performance increase. He just wants it to sound better.
The consensus on the ST forum is that aftermarket exhausts don't do jack for power, at least on the stock turbo. If you go big turbo, yeah, it helps. People change it purely for esthetics.
The exhaust just isn't restrictive on a Fiesta. It doesn't make much noise, either.
The ST sounds a little meaner than the base model, but not by a lot.

OP
Rowdy09
City
St Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'14 SE Sedan
Thread Starter #12
Right econoboxrocks, Im not looking for gains but only sound. I know the ole 1.6 performance is basically what the car already has