Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

I reached 100,00 miles on my 2017 Oxford White Ford Fiesta SE Sedan on March 1st in 2022!

City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
White 2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan
I reached 100,000 miles on my 2017 Oxford White Ford Fiesta SE Sedan on March 1st in 2022!

Preventative Maintenance included the following:

80,000 mile service also included battery replacement

85,000 miles - oil and filter change and service plus alternator replacement

90,000 mile service also included front discs, rear drums, ignition coils, all season tires, and four wheel alignment

95,000 mile service - oil and filter change and service plus new starter

100,000 mile service on 03/04/22 will include new spark plugs, new thermostat, new thermostat gasket, and new thermostat housing

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Good job!

Maintenance - ,a Job not many like to do or A labor of Love that make it last.

Although it seems like you're putting in a lot of new parts into the car, but if that makes the effort work for you, then Mission Accomplished!

Wish you the best for More Miles Of Smiles.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I replaced the alternator at around 70,000 on my 2011. It wasn't failed or defective, i had come across another one that i used as a core and have kept the original alternator as a back up for road trips. I also have a replacement stretchy belt, just in case.

OP
City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I'm going to make two assumptions. 1: It's a 1.6. 2: It's a 5 speed manual.
If so, congrats. You have a very good car.
Thanks for the feedback econoboxrocks! I have the 1.6 litre 4 cylinder engine.
Although it is only 120 horsepower, I am currently averaging 37 miles per gallon
with it while still using studless snow tires for the rest of the month of March in
New York State. I will switch over the all season tires when I get my New York
State Inspection on April 8th. I am having good luck with the automatic transmission.

OP
City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
I replaced the alternator at around 70,000 on my 2011. It wasn't failed or defective, i had come across another one that i used as a core and have kept the original alternator as a back up for road trips. I also have a replacement stretchy belt, just in case.
I had a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES Sedan before I purchased the 2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan.
The 2011 did not have an engine temperature gauge, but the 2017 does. I also noted
that the automatic transmission on the 2011 would struggle in second gear. I realize
that Ford had problems with the automatic transmissions from 2011 through 2016.
It was the engine coolant temperature sensor that got me in trouble with my 2011 SES.

OP
City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Is
Good job!

Maintenance - ,a Job not many like to do or A labor of Love that make it last.

Although it seems like you're putting in a lot of new parts into the car, but if that makes the effort work for you, then Mission Accomplished!

Wish you the best for More Miles Of Smiles.
I appreciate your feedback! I hope to keep my 2017 Oxford White Ford Fiesta SE Sedan
for as long as I can. How many subcompact cars that are designed, engineered, and
assembled in Germany, the United States, and Mexico can get up to 39 mpg right now?
I realize that new hybrids cars can go get more, but they can cost over $20,000, and that
totally new electric cars can cost over $30,000. What are your thoughts?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Based on just the added purchase cost over a conventional four cylinder subcompact hatchback, i figured that a person would have to drive that hybrid in 95% urban, stop and go traffic or maintain and keep the car for 175, 000 miles in normal use just to be able to start tasting the gravy.
With fuel and overall prices going up, that has probably improved the argument for the hybrid.
But, the added complexity of the hybrid is not going to favor a long service life.
My reason for staying away from hybrids is that i just do not like the driving dynamics. There is a kind of numb, calculated dullness about them that will never allow me to embrace them.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
It is good to see someone whom has appreciated, if not honored - the value of maintaining, it's an investment.

But then too, you're maintaining an investment - a good investment keeps it value, a great investment maintains its functionality for its lifetime when maintained.

You mentioned...

I realize that new hybrids cars can go get more, but they can cost over $20,000, and that
totally new electric cars can cost over $30,000. What are your thoughts?
To me? Own Electric? No!

1646350292417.png

(I hope for the days when Scotty can give me that Warp Speed - not "Just The Batteries Sir - I can Have Auxiliary Power In a Few Minutes" Moment - when it counts - but until then...I'll settle for a car that starts in the morning)

I know batteries - and no, I'm not about ready to take chances on one Electric car - I remember Nissan Leafs have their batteries integrated into the vehicle and if you're in a flood situation - the packs can get flooded and short out - toasts the car - even if you weren't driving it. The standing water ruins the packs - it gets totaled by most insurances.

Around Chicago, South Bend - Beton Harbor - there are winters that can get very bad, you can be stranded. Especially when it is a snowstorm that got you stuck. (I-196 I-94 US-20 corridor for example)

If you kept gas in the tank, you have a much better chance of surviving until rescue - because you have a means to burn fuel - which runs the engine allows for 12 volt power, enough for light and heat - until you're out of fuel.

Batteries? The same way, if you're stuck trapped or otherwise stranded - you have no way to recharge the vehicle - unless you own hybrid.

Cars run out of gas; Electric cars batteries die - Hybrids too - nothing lasts forever.

The issue of Gas as the best source of heat and light is my choice. At least you don't have to await a recharge. Some Hybrids won't allow you to jump start the car if the battery can't recharge well enough to initialize the system so it can be started.

IF you need to know why I feel the way I do, just buy a rechargeable tool at Harbor Freight - the battery backups and chargers you'll need to buy as spares for the tool add in cost - more than to buy the tool as corded or with a 2-cycle engine or just live with the fact you're corded and gassed. Home Depot, Lowes, even Walmart - none of the battery powered "battery packs" ever seems to save the planet, they make more of a mess in the landfill and many local recyclers don't want them.

Cell Phone - take one with you to shovel the driveway; and see when it -1F outside - that it might be able to call back to the house if the signal is strong enough to hit the tower and relay back - some phones won't even operate - their battery will die and freeze up until it's thawed out.

You may need to tie a rope around you so those still at the house can pull you back in before the wolves find you.

Can't wait for Spring...can't arrive soon enough.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
My favorite "work around" for heat without giving away too much range in a full EV was a guy in town here who would light two cans of Sterno and place them in the center cup holders inside a matched pair of Campbell's soup cans that were modified to contain the chaffing cans and not catch the damn car on fire. I think that the majority of humanity has advanced past having to haul a bonfire around town with you in order to not die of hypothermia.

OP
City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
Thanks
It is good to see someone whom has appreciated, if not honored - the value of maintaining, it's an investment.

But then too, you're maintaining an investment - a good investment keeps it value, a great investment maintains its functionality for its lifetime when maintained.

You mentioned...

To me? Own Electric? No!

(I hope for the days when Scotty can give me that Warp Speed - not "Just The Batteries Sir - I can Have Auxiliary Power In a Few Minutes" Moment - when it counts - but until then...I'll settle for a car that starts in the morning)

I know batteries - and no, I'm not about ready to take chances on one Electric car - I remember Nissan Leafs have their batteries integrated into the vehicle and if you're in a flood situation - the packs can get flooded and short out - toasts the car - even if you weren't driving it. The standing water ruins the packs - it gets totaled by most insurances.

Around Chicago, South Bend - Beton Harbor - there are winters that can get very bad, you can be stranded. Especially when it is a snowstorm that got you stuck. (I-196 I-94 US-20 corridor for example)

If you kept gas in the tank, you have a much better chance of surviving until rescue - because you have a means to burn fuel - which runs the engine allows for 12 volt power, enough for light and heat - until you're out of fuel.

Batteries? The same way, if you're stuck trapped or otherwise stranded - you have no way to recharge the vehicle - unless you own hybrid.

Cars run out of gas; Electric cars batteries die - Hybrids too - nothing lasts forever.

The issue of Gas as the best source of heat and light is my choice. At least you don't have to await a recharge. Some Hybrids won't allow you to jump start the car if the battery can't recharge well enough to initialize the system so it can be started.

IF you need to know why I feel the way I do, just buy a rechargeable tool at Harbor Freight - the battery backups and chargers you'll need to buy as spares for the tool add in cost - more than to buy the tool as corded or with a 2-cycle engine or just live with the fact you're corded and gassed. Home Depot, Lowes, even Walmart - none of the battery powered "battery packs" ever seems to save the planet, they make more of a mess in the landfill and many local recyclers don't want them.

Cell Phone - take one with you to shovel the driveway; and see when it -1F outside - that it might be able to call back to the house if the signal is strong enough to hit the tower and relay back - some phones won't even operate - their battery will die and freeze up until it's thawed out.

You may need to tie a rope around you so those still at the house can pull you back in before the wolves find you.

Can't wait for Spring...can't arrive soon enough.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I think that the majority of humanity has advanced past having to haul a bonfire around town with you in order to not die of hypothermia.
This is true...

Nature Abhors a Vacuum...
1646440235408.png

Unfortunately - they'd leave their (*stuff*) behind and trudge out on their own - only to have the wreck plug up the highway from getting cleared because they went to go find a bathroom and never bothered to come back...