Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

hi new to all this

mad mo

City
banbridge
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2007 ford fiesta
i am a silly female lol
i am changing my cigarette lighter in my 2007 ford fiesta sport but when i took out the thing that was in there it was like a push button that tried to start the engine but its not the right part. so i took it out and i have noticed that there is only 1 orange push in plug thing and the new lighter i have is 2 1+ and 1- is do i need to get an adapter to make it a 2 plug or should i go to the garage and let the look at it as it seems easy enough to do but family members have said i done something wrong or ive got the wrong lighter
please help a female in distress
ty in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1615741571228.png

You ask a tall order, most would leave this to their service station to re-fit the lighter socket.

Look above, on the LEFT top is your photo of the wires out of the dash where you want to reinstall a new plug.

The Right larger photo is the one that shows what looks to be the old style Two wire screw terminal

The Left Bottom I recognize as a new Lighter socket - with a green tint light ring uses a typical bayonet base bulb - like a #53 type lamp.

Now - the above can be a guide to help you. Not sure of your technical expertise in Electrical wiring but to keep it simple it's a good course for beginners.

But not the novice types or those needing some skills to obtain before taking on this task.

For this requires a look behind the hole to measure and check to see if the new socket can fit the hole as well as verify the wiring - although the Color code is pretty basic, the crimping/installing the replacement connector to fit the new socket is not easy, for you have Flange needs TAB - so you'll need to find the Female Socket side of proper size of this TAB to mate in. as well as strip/crimp and seat the right socket to the correct tab to keep the Polarity correct. so you can use it. Hint: Center Bolt/nut is HOT - positive and has a TAB for itself or use a LUG ring that fits the bolt and uses the Nut to hold it in place.

You also have to find a method to take this socket and remove it's outer clamp ring - fit it into the dash and the reinstall that clamp ring - requires taking apart the dash to gain access to that hole from behind. On top of putting the wiring in correctly with the right polarity so you don't blow a charger or blow the fuse feeding this circuit.

The Night lite you see is simple wire that uses one of the other wires for its return, done in a way so that when you turn on the lights for nighttime driving this light also turns on to illuminate the "light ring" it has, (Fiber Optic) but as to which wire it needs? Depends on the way that plug, you took out, needed to use either Hot or Ground the dimmer ran the bulb's return (center) - so if the NEW socket is Grounded Ring (metal case) and the Bulb needs to have it HOT instead (Reversed) - you can't use this and make that night lite work right (it will brighten when the others dim - and reverse Dim, when others brighten).

So you'll need to make choices and although seems a simple change, the complexity comes from the realm of knowing polarity and the Night Lites' own needs to operate correctly It's not that simple - you can wire the socket and make it work - but the night lite to work right, and the polarity the socket needs to be - are all in the hands of you, or take it to a shop to have them do it.

OP
M

mad mo

City
banbridge
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2007 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Tyvm indeed for your reply I have grade to electrics but will still take car with me to get the correct parts that I need once again tyvm