Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Noisy rear end after bc coilover install

I just had my bc coilovers on for 2 weeks now. Had them installed by modbargins here in southern Cali. I love them, but the rear end is really noisy. I constantly get sounds from the springs as they either compress or move on the perch (not sure how to describe this sounds). Also get a loud clunk when going over some uneven surfaces. Don't know if this has to do with the addition of the pierce torsion bar? Not sure, but not the type of thing I want after spending money on coils to now have a noisier car (not in the good way at least).

Anybody experience this with their coils?

I have BC coils. I think I've heard the rear creak once or twice in the 6 months or so that I've had them. But, for the most part they are silent. So if you are getting alot of noise there may be something amiss. You could check your spring preload, I came across this video that helped me out on that task. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgQ-BPd6ck And you could also visually look under there and see if the spring is in contact with any metal. There should be plastic piece between the adjustable perch and spring and then again between spring and lower beam section.

My st xta squeak like no other it's the shocks where it bolts to the body eventually everything settles in and goes away also had some clunking

most likley your locking ring on the strut came loose or possibly the locking ring on the spring adjuster. happened to me, got it super tight and hasnt done it since.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have had mine on for nearly as long as they have been available and no noise at all until the other day so I know something is loose, parked the car as do not drive it in the snow and salt, in a day or two I will jack it up and fix whatever it is in probably a few minutes at the most.

One thing to always remember, more mods means more maintenance, almost always.

That is not a bad thing if you like working on cars but can be much less fun if you depend on others to do the work and have to deal with all the issues that can happen from it, most often not good.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I run BC BR-type coils on a mazda 5 (yes, a minivan) and i had set the preload to tight and it blew the shocks. They made noises over any remotely hard bumps. BC warrantied them no issue.

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
Just though I would post an update. I finally got a chance to get back to modbargins this past Saturday. Had them get my ST aligned. I had them check the coils on the vehicle for the horrible clunking sound that I had which seemed to be getting worse at that point. After about 30 minutes of adjusting, looking at the rear of the vehicle and driving they finally decided to take out the pierce motorsports rear torsion bar. They took it for a drive and while as he was pulling the vehicle back into the shop I asked one of the other guys "It was the bar wasn't it?" .......he said "Yeah it was"....... What was going on was the Pierce bar is flat on the top. Where as the rear beam is more round. As I would go up an incline sideways the bar would move away and then slap the beam. When they showed me the bar sure enough it was only touching two points on the bar, you can actually see where the paint was being worn. I am trying to find a solution cause I love the bar, but I refuse to put it back in if it is going to do that all the time.

If shit was "moving" the bar attachment bolts weren't tight enough and/or the bar wasn't centered on the bolt holes.

Did you ever get this fully figured out? Did you end up leaving the bar off or installing it back at some point? I'm looking to get the bc coils and I already have the pierce motorsports street kit along with the trunk bar.

OP
L
Thread Starter #12
I did. I took the rear lower torsion bar off for a while before I thought of a solution. I went to lowes and bought a couple rubber washers (I believe in the sink isle) and installed them between the beam and the bar. Have not heard a sound from it since.