Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Heater Flap Position motor problem

NeoGeo

City
Lisbon
State
FL
Country
Portugal
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2009
Hi All! I'm having a problem in my 2009 Ford Fiesta. I've tried to change the Heater Flap Position motor as I've noticed that not only the motor was not working properly but also the small "arm" that connects the motor to the flap that opens and closes was also broken. I've bought a scrap Heater Flap Position motor and it is working but instead of only opening/closing a percentage of the flap according to the set temperature, it only fully opens the blend door in the High mode, but if I turn it to 28º or 27º, it automatically fully closes the door. It should only close a bit and only if I set the temperature to 16º (minimum) should fully close the door. Do you guys have any idea of what the issue could be? Thank you!

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
How to do you know that the flap originally only worked as a percentage of rotation?

The later models that "door and flap" work in pulse mode - unless the control is fully clockwise, then the flap is told to stay on.

• Looked more closely at those pics, the Motor shown in newer pulse ones we have in our models in the USA.
  • Yours is a 2009 were you able to even locate the proper year of type - for the cycling event we have is "on to off to on to off" in any mid-point setting.
  • This poses a problem with older models - they may not recognize the motor and treat this as a "stepper" type pulsing to open the door but then it sees it doing something else - it's working with what it sees and seems to know - it's not 2021 - this was a 2009 model - vastly different construction.

The current models monitor air out side and in the cabin and "pulse" that flap when it is not set to the extreme ends.

You may need to operate the climate control and see if you can even hear, and feel - the door operating the heater core - but this must be done in a climate setting that isn't calling for AC - meaning no MAX AC or Defrost / Bi-Level Defrost (Floor vent and Front Windshield Defrost)

The flap can also get confused with the Recirc (Recirculated) where the air intake is shut off when the control is at "0" (O)

Last edited:
OP
N

NeoGeo

City
Lisbon
State
FL
Country
Portugal
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2009
Thread Starter #3
How to do you know that the flap originally only worked as a percentage of rotation?

The later models that "door and flap" work in pulse mode - unless the control is fully clockwise, then the flap is told to stay on.

• Looked more closely at those pics, the Motor shown in newer pulse ones we have in our models in the USA.
  • Yours is a 2009 were you able to even locate the proper year of type - for the cycling event we have is "on to off to on to off" in any mid-point setting.
  • This poses a problem with older models - they may not recognize the motor and treat this as a "stepper" type pulsing to open the door but then it sees it doing something else - it's working with what it sees and seems to know - it's not 2021 - this was a 2009 model - vastly different construction.

The current models monitor air out side and in the cabin and "pulse" that flap when it is not set to the extreme ends.

You may need to operate the climate control and see if you can even hear, and feel - the door operating the heater core - but this must be done in a climate setting that isn't calling for AC - meaning no MAX AC or Defrost / Bi-Level Defrost (Floor vent and Front Windshield Defrost)

The flap can also get confused with the Recirc (Recirculated) where the air intake is shut off when the control is at "0" (O)
Hi there, the way for me to know the part of the percentage was that the first time I've took the motor out, still connected to the car, I've tried to reduce/increase the heat and I saw the motor only moving a percentage each time I did it. After I swap the motors, it stopped doing that and started doing what I've explained above.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Then the motor you have - is not the one that gives the Climate control (Via Body Control Module) the proper feedback for "position" - there is the motor that is / acts like a stepper motor to "bump" the vane - if you have the wrong motor, the feedback to the module that "looks" for advance / decrease and position is there for it to know how far to move it - instead it looks at the "temperature" sensor as it's "guide" and steps the vane fully open to match the climate setting.

The two types of systems unfortunately are not compatible.

OP
N

NeoGeo

City
Lisbon
State
FL
Country
Portugal
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2009
Thread Starter #4
By wrong motor, do you mean wrong part number? Because I've replaced with one exacly the same regarding the part number. And now, if I try to put back the "old" motor, it also doesn't follow the "percentage" path. It just fully opens or fully closes according to what I've explained in the beginning.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, then there is something definitely wrong with the "driver motor controller" back at the Climate system.

The new motor is not able to tell the system it's position.

I have a system that "steps" and checks - the "check" is from the temperature sensor located on the passenger side, to the back of the glovebox and is part of the Cabin Air Filter assembly - that little clippy sensor - that goes right by that "vane" - checks air temp and moves accordingly.

So if the Motor goes to full stop, then you might need to check the cabin air temp sensor which is over by the Cabin Air Filter door. So that means having to remove the kick panel to get access....
1630584549506.png

There is an older system that is more "manual" - so I apologize for the confusion.

This air temp sensor if it's not connected or somehow got damaged I can see why the motor would cycle to the full stops - it doesn't "know" what to do except follow the users climate temp knob. To it, there is no middle to "check" against.

That is strange.