Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford announces end of Fiesta production in June 2023….

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The Cologne Germany plant is the last one still producing the Fiesta. After June of next year the changeover will begin to build battery electric vehicles based on VW architecture. I don’t know if the factory will be making both Ford and VW product. But it is confirmed that it will not be gasoline or diesel fuel powered vehicles.

City
West Allis
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta S
The Cologne Germany plant is the last one still producing the Fiesta. After June of next year the changeover will begin to build battery electric vehicles based on VW architecture. I don’t know if the factory will be making both Ford and VW product. But it is confirmed that it will not be gasoline or diesel fuel powered vehicles.
That's crazy. Do they still make 2022 Fiestas in Europe or something? Confused on how that works, are they still just pumping out 2019's? I thought 2019 was the last year. Anyways, glad I got one myself. It is a great little car.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #3
June of 2023 is the end. No more updates or restyles. They claim that the demand has crashed. But, thanks to the chip shortage, the higher spec versions of many Fiesta were unavailable or severely limited to order. So, I am not convinced that the buyer has rejected the small car so much as been pushed out of them! That’s okay. I am willing to wait and see what develops. I have already decided that I will be among the very,very last people that switch to a battery electric vehicle.

City
West Allis
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta S
June of 2023 is the end. No more updates or restyles. They claim that the demand has crashed. But, thanks to the chip shortage, the higher spec versions of many Fiesta were unavailable or severely limited to order. So, I am not convinced that the buyer has rejected the small car so much as been pushed out of them! That’s okay. I am willing to wait and see what develops. I have already decided that I will be among the very,very last people that switch to a battery electric vehicle.
Yeah I think that personally that small fuel efficient gas cars will make a comeback as oil prices skyrocket and electric technology struggles to catch up to the everyday useability of gas vehicles. But I guess they know the future better than me? IDK Personally, I think SUV's are disgusting. I'd rather have a mini-van over a SUV. And I think electric has a ways to go still.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #5
For me it’s all about “range”. Even if gasoline prices rise to $7 a gallon, the average mpg a Fiesta achieves makes the cost per gallon less important than the confidence that I have if I do a 1,500 mile road trip.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
As far as I can see, anything that gets 400 miles per charge - and you'll still have to wait 4-hours or more to recharge?

I'll take 15-minutes and a tankful of gas - for $500 - Alex...

1667006974906.png

It may have 800,000 + Watts of stored energy, (800kWh)
But multiply that by 10 cars, that over 1 Megawatt of required energy to recharge
those 10 dead cars.
Try this with 1,000 of these in the same condition -
You'll Need over a GIGA-watt of capacity power to recharge these at the same time..​

Why not up the stakes and place the area under an emergency evacuation!?

Now we have a serious condition.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #8
We didn’t get the Puma in the States. I am not the only person who believes that Ford is setting themselves up for a catastrophe in dumping all cars except the Mustang. I have an old Mustang.they have their appeal, but they also have some practical limitations and cost of ownership hurdles that push them into being a weekend toy or track event tool as the years of ownership and ongoing modifications are added to them.
The Fiesta, even a slightly modified one, is a very rational car for an enthusiast.

City
N/A
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta sport Ecoboost 1.0
We didn’t get the Puma in the States. I am not the only person who believes that Ford is setting themselves up for a catastrophe in dumping all cars except the Mustang. I have an old Mustang.they have their appeal, but they also have some practical limitations and cost of ownership hurdles that push them into being a weekend toy or track event tool as the years of ownership and ongoing modifications are added to them.
The Fiesta, even a slightly modified one, is a very rational car for an enthusiast.
I just don’t understand why.VW have kept their Golf performance variant(GTI) & no signs of it being discontinued.Just a bad move by Ford.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #10
It’s almost like ford is going out of business, one vehicle market segment at a time.

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
I have been a not-quite-rabid proponent of cycling since I could pedal myself to school then work. I don't believe the infrastructure can handle even 20% more EV demand right now and certainly not what is being proposed by governments and individual corporations. Yes, the demand for EVs will cause the infrastructure to be improved but by the time demand is pushing government to improve infrastructure, it's far too late. I live in a city where most houses can't run a hair dryer and a microwave at the same time. There is no way this city (the 6th largest in the US) can handle it now, nor within 10 years. We have regular large-scale outages due to overloading (summer AC use) and physical accident related incidents (downed tree branches or the garden-variety impaired driver/car chased by the police who runs into a pole with a transformer on it. ) An electric bus can do it here but in all reality, people in this town need to bike more or they need E bikes or scooters, or whatever smaller version of personal transport they choose. Most people who live here have a commute less than 6 miles, that's a reasonably quick bike ride for a healthy individual or an even faster ride on an E bike.
I'm not saying cars are bad, I have two and I love them both. The diesel Mercedes is the Mad Max car that I'll be running on filtered fry oil after diesel becomes too expensive. Both the Benz (currently non-op) and the Fiesta make more sense in this city than any of the big trucks I see on the roadways, with huge tires just wasting miles of chunky tread life on the city streets. That's proof that people have more money than brains.
Yes, we should save the planet, but personally unburdening oneself of their individual carbon footprint by shuffling their direct aromatic hydrocarbon use off to a powerplant somewhere out in the burbs isn't the solution. Improving public transport and incentivizing it in big cities would be a huge step. Incentivizing riding a bicycle or even a scooter would be big. Getting the EV cart ahead of the infrastructure horse, is like buying an electric toy for a kid and forgetting to get batteries by Christmas morning. A lot of pouting, tantrums, and angry stomping will result, and very few will be able to get around.

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1667136374682.png

Meanwhile the rest of us are wondering where, and if - we will still be able to get parts to keep our vehicles running.

Attachments

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Time to start collecting OEM stuff if you plan to keep it a long time.
My blend door actuator works, but it's just a matter of time. :LOL:

Looks like Ford wants to reassure us that they'll make things right. Youtube version of the tweet above:

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #14
ST specific parts are already starting to disappear from the parts lists.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
It's a sad farewell...

But...

I love a good teaser...

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
That's crazy. Do they still make 2022 Fiestas in Europe or something? Confused on how that works, are they still just pumping out 2019's? I thought 2019 was the last year. Anyways, glad I got one myself. It is a great little car.
Ford did a refresh of the Fiesta (Mk8) in 2018 for the eastern hemisphere. We never got those cars. They're very popular in EU, though. They kept making the mk7 for a couple more years in Mexico.
1667344518412.png

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #18
The Fiesta in North America isn’t going to have anything like ten years of new, original equipment parts availability. That “availability” of parts is going to be quickly whittled down to engine parts and controls some body electrical parts, fenders and door shells. Rocker panels both outer and inner, roof panel skins and quarter panels along with all the inner structural parts are going to evaporate from availability. So, rebuilds of a slightly tweaked Fiesta ST that is in otherwise good shape is not going to be happening in five to seven years from now.
Parts availability was what caused me to sell off my Dodge Omni GLH. Way more Omni GLH were sold than Fiesta ST.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
The Fiesta in North America isn’t going to have anything like ten years of new, original equipment parts availability. That “availability” of parts is going to be quickly whittled down to engine parts and controls some body electrical parts, fenders and door shells. Rocker panels both outer and inner, roof panel skins and quarter panels along with all the inner structural parts are going to evaporate from availability. So, rebuilds of a slightly tweaked Fiesta ST that is in otherwise good shape is not going to be happening in five to seven years from now.
Parts availability was what caused me to sell off my Dodge Omni GLH. Way more Omni GLH were sold than Fiesta ST.
I think you're partly right. ST-specific OEM parts will start to disappear, but the engine and transmission were used in millions of other cars and vans. The body parts are basic Fiesta hatchback with some trim. The trim will probably be hard to find, eventually.
I'd also challenge your assertion that more GLHs were sold than STs. Ford sold over half a million Fiestas in the US during their run (Of course, they sell more F-150s in a year!). STs were sold for 6 model years. If 5% of Fiestas were STs, that's 25,000 cars, most of which are still running strong. Given the fat aftermarket and the cult status of the ST, I think that parts void will be filled for a long time.

Other Fiestas are also reliable, especially the manuals, and they can be had cheap. We'll be spotting still-running Fiestas as long as people can still get gasoline. Can't say that about the Fiats! :LOL:

City
N/A
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta sport Ecoboost 1.0
Parts are plentiful here in Australia, plenty of wreckers around as well.Fairly cheap car to maintain.Even new parts are still easily available.I picked up a OEM alloy wheel from a wrecker in Sydney from a wrecked Fiesta.Way, way cheaper than a brand new one from Ford.

Attachments