Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

first gear grind.

jonbak

City
colne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
fiesta 1.4 ghia.
goes in first gear when stationary, but when going from 2nd to first a slow speed walking pace first gear grinds.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Don't downshift into first. Forced downshifts place a lot of stresses on the drive train. I can only imagine one scenario where I would do forced downshifts. That would be when my brake pedal sank to the floor and the hand brake was inoperative! Split seconds later i would be looking for something "soft" to crash into.
Generally, if you are not force downshifting and you are experiencing a grinding sound as you shift, that is an indication of worn syncros.
I can only provide the most broadly general advice here because you don't mention what year your fiesta is or what it's odometer is at.

Last edited:
OP
J

jonbak

City
colne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
fiesta 1.4 ghia.
Thread Starter #3
Don't downshift into first. Forced downshifts place a lot of stresses on the drive train. I can only imagine one scenario where I would do forced downshifts. That would be when my brake pedal sank to the floor and the hand brake was inoperative! Split seconds later i would be looking for something "soft" to crash into.
Generally, if you are not force downshifting and you are experiencing a grinding sound as you shift, that is an indication of worn syncros.
I can only provide the most broadly general advice here because you don't mention what year your fiesta is or what it's odometer is at.

OP
J

jonbak

City
colne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
fiesta 1.4 ghia.
Thread Starter #4
yeah its a 1.4 ghia 2008 with one hundred thousand miles on clock,i avoid first gear when moving. Just wondering how much it would cost to get a used box fitted, I can get a gear box cheap from breakerlink,just need it fitting.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That would be the best way to go. Given the age and miles on the original gearbox, it would be a good idea to have them replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing while its apart. We didn't get the 2008 1.4 fiesta in the States so i couldn't say if the flywheel is a dual mass type or not. The flywheel might be machined and reinstalled if it's not the dual mass type.
Otherwise you will need a new flywheel as well. It's safe to say that you will never need to have a clutch replacement on that one again! Good Luck!

OP
J

jonbak

City
colne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
fiesta 1.4 ghia.
Thread Starter #6
That would be the best way to go. Given the age and miles on the original gearbox, it would be a good idea to have them replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing while its apart. We didn't get the 2008 1.4 fiesta in the States so i couldn't say if the flywheel is a dual mass type or not. The flywheel might be machined and reinstalled if it's not the dual mass type.
Otherwise you will need a new flywheel as well. It's safe to say that you will never need to have a clutch replacement on that one again! Good Luck!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1-st Gear or "granny Gear" is just to get the car from not - to moving - then 2nd can take up the speed with a little less torque present.

Not saying to start out in 2nd gear, no! Just if still moving - the Transmission has a high-rev lockout in 1st - if it's worn, then you need to be more gentler with the tranny - just keep the engine from lugging too hard - higher gears need rpm and speed -so 2nd's about as low as you can go.

Which brings up another condition...

How is your alignment?
  • Tires inflated to correct pressure?
  • Brakes are not dragging?
  • Wheels are straight - drives straight - no drift?
  • Does the steering wheel pull in one direction when you stop? How about - take off?
    • Might need work on bearings Brakes, onto just a simple air pressure adjustment of the tire affecting the pull.
A lot of little things can help ease this condition by taking the time to make sure the vehicle, when stopped can start to roll again.​
Do this in a flat parking lot and see just how hard it is to move the vehicle - stop it, put it in neutral and release all the brakes - does the car roll?​
How about shutting off the engine - leave in neutral and get out and try to push it - if it takes more effort or a LOT of pressure - bends the plastic on the bumper kind of result - might need some research into that why...​
Another? How about - how long will this roll - stops as soon as you let off the pushing effort?​
If Yes, then you might want to look into getting the car an alignment or more investigations into why it won't roll easily.​
  • and if it requires a lot of effort to keep it moving - worn systems cause drag
  • - if it takes a lot of effort of pushing
    • - you might want to correct that condition too
    • - vehicles that roll easier don't waste gas on overcoming friction and can shift easier too.
The more aware you become of the changes in your cars condition can help you make better choices - even in selecting and using the proper gear.

A 100K is a lot to accomplish - in any car - Kudos for having last this long!

Hope this helps!

Last edited: