Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta Stalling in the middle of driving

PerioDont

City
Portland
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SE 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Ford Fiesta SE with 82k miles. Recently in the last few weeks, the car stops randomly while driving. The accelerator will simply stop working and you won't be able to go anymore, which makes driving quite dangerous. The lights turn on as shown in the image and the check engine oil comes on in the clock screen.

It happens after driving for a few minutes, and then it basically happens every 2 minutes. Then I stand on the side or sometimes in the middle of the road, wait about 2 minutes and re-start it and it works for another 2 minutes. If I try to restart it immediately then the car makes a grinding noise.

I went to the dealership and they told me I needed a new mass air flow sensor. They were charging me 500$ for it, so I ended up replacing it myself since it seemed pretty easy.

I then continued to have the same issues. I took the car to another mechanic but he could not figure out what was going on either. The only code that is registering is saying that the mass air flow sensor needs to be replaced. Any ideas?
1626506143826.png

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to let everything reset, then see if it throws the same code?

OP
P

PerioDont

City
Portland
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta SE 2012
Thread Starter #3
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to let everything reset, then see if it throws the same code?
No I hav not tried that. How do you disconnect the battery? Do I need any special tools?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
10 m wrench will loosen the set bolt for the negative battery terminal.
Make Sure that the terminal is isolated from the post. Wrap a rag around the cable end and set it aside. I would be doing a very close inspection of the wires leading to the MAF sensor, including the connector shell to the MAF itself.
This sounds like a signal failure that is masquerading as a dead MAF. My first root cause "guess".
Second one is grounds. It just keeps coming down to the basics of good conductivity.

Last edited: