Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta p0500

Nicholas!

City
Fruita
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 ford fiesta
So I replaced my wheel bearing. Started it up and tcs, abs, hill start lights were on. So I figured I broke the abs wheel speed sensor when I removed it.
then I drove it down the block. I make it about 100 feet and then my check engine light comes on, fuel light comes on(even though I have a full tank), and my odometer just shows dashes. I shut it off and odometer is good, and no fuel light till I drive another 100feet or so.
showing p0500 code(vehicle speed sensor). Could this code be causing blank odometer and fuel light to come on?
i appreciate any help!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Replaced wheel bearing?

Hmmm - Sensor wire isn't pinched or was pinched during any time in disassembly or reassembly?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it. See what pops up on the test drive.

OP
N

Nicholas!

City
Fruita
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #4
I think the sensor wire is broke so I’ll order a new one. But don’t see how that can be related to the fuel light or odometer.

I have tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the code, but it just happens again

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have no clue regarding what would cause that combination of mil lamp after a hub and bearing change.

OP
N

Nicholas!

City
Fruita
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 ford fiesta
Thread Starter #6
I’m wondering if it’s a weird coincidence or if the abs wheel speed sensor can cause odometer issues

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The blank odometer display in combination with the low fuel warning light doesn't make sense in connection to a wheel bearing replacement. There is a definite electrical system issue.
These sorts of problems are very difficult to diagnose online.
Perhaps someone here has experienced this issue and can provide some insight.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Which side of the car was the Wheel bearing replaced, or were both done at the same time?

Reasoning is - the ABS sensors and their timing - when driving, are used to determine speed and if any wheel "Slips" too far out of a widow of expected turning radius and or unexpected driving conditions it is a lead-in condition to the ABS or TRAC control preparations - it even helps during driveoff from dead stop moment.

Had this occur on a rear wheel when I did a check on the hub and brakes - accidentally took off a bolt and boy did the dash light up - no more than 10 feet out of the Garage and you're left thinking the "Mr. Phelps - and 'This Message (sub-in Vehicle) will self-destruct in 5 seconds'" moment - coasting down the driveway - do I bail or just ride this one out?
It uses all of them to determine - so if one isn't working - you'll certainly know, see and hear about it from the dashboard tell-tale light and Ding-Dong show...

If it were me? IF the Rear wheel hub was done, then remove - disconnect ground and block wheels and lift up the car - you'll have to find the rear Hub sensors - and if the hub was not seated properly - you'll have to do this whole mess repeatedly until the clearance between the hub and that speed sensor are "close enough" to each other to reset the mess in the dashboard.

The hubs themselves have a opening where the ABS/SPEEDO sensor goes in, if the sensor is not in far enough - the system can't tell if the wheel is spinning or not.

This kinda' sounds like something out of a bad alignment - where the shop might not have told you all the details and something got twisted - so they tried to untwist it in telling their side, of their story.

It's not uncommon to have the rear brake plate - kinda' needing to be re-centered or remove the shims used to offset an alignment "shim" clearance - to make the wheels roll straight or somehow fix a drift problem - at least not that way - the sensor is pretty intolerant of too much clearance between it and the hub. IF even one sensor is too far out of tolerance and clearance - the whole car suffers - It sees 3 but counts 4 - so 75% of the vehicles'' systems appear working - sort of moment.

So this means a full pull out of the sensor and make sure the bolt to holes clearance is good and that you don't have any debris in the hole - even a rust flake - these things work on optics and fields - so the thingy - if it's view of the hub spinner is blocked - it's blind and the vehicles plays that Taped Message for Mr. Phelps all over again...

Now there is a cabling harness by the fuel tank that if it' got tugged a wee bit too hard, you might need to reseat connectors' embedded in the harness along the route of where the pull / yank / tear happened - and see if the wiring harness got dislodged - if even the Ground wire tie off or any of those zip tied mounting tabs both types of fasteners - if pulled - that shows a lot of force used on the harness so it will need some TLC and someone experienced to look at it.

If you're able to drive it, the fuel system is working so it wouldn't start otherwise - so the Fuel sender or some type of mess might also have occurred above in the rear seat area...that bench seat. Might need to look in there too...

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There is also - and you didn't give a lot of details so forgive if this seems to be overkill but you did ask...

There is also this...
1637944771352.png

This is the OUTPUT shaft speed sensor for Automatics.

So if you did fronts - there are several places something could have gone awry