Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta Mk6 Brake Pipe Burst PLEASE H3LP

City
Scotland
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Mk6 1.2
Hello all,
I recently bought a 2008 fiesta mk6 1.2,
I changed the pads on the front drivers side, caliper was seized so I had to push it open to fit the pads in , then connected it all up and went for a small spin, I thought it would be a good idea to press on the brakes extremely hard to check the braking power when I did this I immediately heard a sound from the wheel well as well as the brake pedal sinking to floor on top of that there was steaming brake fluid shooting out from the wheel well, I then left the car for 24 hours and came back to do an inspection I first thought it was the caliper without fully inspecting it but once i looked I saw that the copper brake pipe was soo rusted/corroded due to the salt in the road in Scotland I guess and I saw exactly where the fluid was coming out from, it was on a bend where the Pipe burst open, the hole was no larger than maybe a mm or2,
So I removed the burst Copper Brake pipe, the brake flexi hose and the caliper.

Because I waited 24 hours to check on it All Of the Fluid has now drained out from that rusted copper pipe, from the master cylinder reservoir and the master cylinder is now empty and full of air I presume?
I have bought a new caliper, pads, Front brake hose,
and a Front brake pipe copper with the fittings and it is premade shaped to fit,

My question is that once everything is installed on the car and I fill it with brake fluid and bleed the brakes,
Will I have to also bleed the master cylinder too?
As the clutch and brakes are being fed by the same resevoir do i need to bleed the clutch cylinder as well?
I would love to hear how you would go about getting her back on the road but any help is much appreciated!

Thanks all

EDIT-- The Car does have ABS

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
You should check it once the brakes are bled. If it acts normal, then you're fine. If not, you'll have to bleed the clutch too.

OP
M
City
Scotland
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Mk6 1.2
Thread Starter #3
Great thanks, yes I will def check once everything is blead,#

Do you think I will need to replace the master cylinder or clutch cylinders because all of the brake fluid leaked out?

Thanks

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
You won't know until you fill and bleed it. Hopefully replacing the line and bleeding it will be enough. I doubt that the cylinders are ruined by one leak.

OP
M
City
Scotland
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Mk6 1.2
Thread Starter #5
You won't know until you fill and bleed it. Hopefully replacing the line and bleeding it will be enough. I doubt that the cylinders are ruined by one leak.
Thank you for your help,
I will fill it up and bleed tomorrow thank so much for your help I will upload some photos and update with what happened,
Thanks again

OP
M
City
Scotland
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Mk6 1.2
Thread Starter #7

Thank you for your help,
A friend of mine which is a Diesel bus mechanic came by after I fit everything back together and told me that I dont need to bleed the master cylinder and I would only need to bleed the one caliper where the pipe burst as he said that there will still be brake fluid in the other 3 caliper pipes, so we only blead the new caliper and I threw the wheel back on and drove it around for a little bit and she was fine!,
I still think I should bleed the other brakes to make sure there isnt any air in them.

Ive posted a couple of photos showing the New Stuff I installed Plus a new Disc and pads

Thanks again for your help

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Good to see you get this mess taken care of and back on the road!

Nothing like having to do this yourself.

And when it comes to the other three, yes - it's a good idea - WHEN you have more time to pay attention to details.

Just don't make it too long.