Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta CCN 2013 model USB iPhone music keeps skipping songs after half a second

TvChecker

City
Brussels
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
Fiesta CCN 2013
Hi all,

So recently I have bough this 2013 model Ford Fiesta. What a great car I must say. It drives perfectly.

Yet, I have this really frustrating problem. I want to listen to music that is on my iPhone via USB. So I plug my iPhone into the USB that is in the console beneath the handbrake. I press the AUX button near the radio, it switches first to AUX, I press another time and it switches to USB. So far so good. Then when I try to start playing songs on Spotify (or even Apple Music), I can see the name of the song and the artist, but I can only hear the first couple of milliseconds of the song, because the radio forwards directly to the next song and continues doing this. I can't listen to Spotify, or any other music app this way. When my iPhone is plugged in, without a song playing, I can hear the notification sounds.

I've read online that more people are experiencing this problem. But I can't seem the get a hold on a solution. I am curious if there is a software update available to fix this problem maybe, I couldn't find it. Hopefully here anybody knows how to fix this.

What I have tried:
- Resetting the iPhone.
- Changing iPhone cable.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Wonder if you have a setting on the iPhone would be to keep itself secure when connected to sources - you may need to tweak that security setting so it can be used by another to allow access to the Player.

That way the iPhone and SYNC can see each other and only let SYNC play with the buttons and nothing else.

I myself just set up a USB Stick to ley Sync rummage thru the playlists and find something to play. That way I don't have to force the iPhone or SYNC to try and play nice with each other - they stay separate - that's my choice - not everyone else thinks that way.

But SYNC should be allowed access to "treat" the iPhone as a USB - then MEDIA can control the phones player, but you also have to let the phone give the external app access to the files on the phone via a directory you set up as Music (or whatever you called it) and let it treat it as a USB - so if you say "Browse USB" or Browse or PLAY ALL - it may think you want to just take a quik-trip thru the listing until it is stopped by you to play "that song"

OP
T

TvChecker

City
Brussels
State
Non-US
Country
Belgium
What I Drive
Fiesta CCN 2013
Thread Starter #3
Wonder if you have a setting on the iPhone would be to keep itself secure when connected to sources - you may need to tweak that security setting so it can be used by another to allow access to the Player.

That way the iPhone and SYNC can see each other and only let SYNC play with the buttons and nothing else.

I myself just set up a USB Stick to ley Sync rummage thru the playlists and find something to play. That way I don't have to force the iPhone or SYNC to try and play nice with each other - they stay separate - that's my choice - not everyone else thinks that way.

But SYNC should be allowed access to "treat" the iPhone as a USB - then MEDIA can control the phones player, but you also have to let the phone give the external app access to the files on the phone via a directory you set up as Music (or whatever you called it) and let it treat it as a USB - so if you say "Browse USB" or Browse or PLAY ALL - it may think you want to just take a quik-trip thru the listing until it is stopped by you to play "that song"
Thanks for your reply. Do you know where I can find that setting exactly? When I connected my iPhone for the first time to the car via USB I pressed 'allow', is that the setting that you are referring too?

Somehow the SYNC connects and shows all the meta data of the song that is played, but it just skips every song after like 0.5 seconds. Really strange. One time I was able to play one full song normally, but then it went to the next song and it starts skipping again and again.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The iPhone has its own "settings" so you selected "Allow" so to what it allows is up to you to find out.

The main idea here is to let SYNC control the phone but if the Phone tries to supply an app for this - you'll need to make a decision on what gets priority.

I myself again, use a USB stick and my phone - due to local regulations - is not allowed to be connected by my choice - to prevent tickets or accidents per their rules.

When you have two systems fighting each other - which this seems to be heading into - you want SYNC to operate the phone like as if it's a storage device and it's only looking for the player files - so it can play them.

I don't know what you clicked "Allow" to - unless you can go back into the settings Then see if the iPhone is set up to BECOME the player, or you're letting your connected device become that player instead.

So while you have SYNC - you should be able to find the MENU for PHONE, you'll need to make choices for if you allow your phone to use SYNC, Or Not.

You'll also need to locate USB and see if the SYNC can treat the phone as a simple USB.

But, if you allow PHONE to use SYNCE to make calls then you're in territory I cannot follow you to.
  • If you choose to let it use SYNC then the rest of this thread is pretty much over, you're going into territory I cannot go to because of current regulations and job requirements prevent me from hooking up my phone to the vehicle. Why? OSHA gets a little testy when it has to investigate accident causes - including distracted driving. You are always going to get the blame unless you can prove otherwise. Still the Burden of proof in my region of country I live it is pretty stringent on Phone use and injury and deaths pertaining to phones and distracted driving is taken seriously.
I would strongly recommend you let the iPhone be treated as a USB device (simple) so it can find the files and play them.

Which is why I use a simple USB stick to let SYNC play music. Else with older '13 technology and the new iPhone - the two will fight each other for contention - and it is using your music files to demonstrate the results.