Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta 2015 1.0 Ecoboost solved AC cooling problem

City
PRADINES
State
Non-US
Country
France
What I Drive
Fiesta 2015 1.0 eco
After a few days of complaints by wife that it was too hot in the car this summer, I saw that the AC clutch was jumping in-out every few seconds. Afetr an internet search I ordered a can of R134 refrigerant and a cheap nozzle and gauge from Amzon to top-up the system. I used the whole can, but was dissapointed when the system still did not blow cold. I took off the front (bumper) and checked the system for obvious leaks, and then cleaned the AC radiator fins - no change. Finally I did the AC compressor clutch check by shorting the terminals on R9 relay in the fuse box under hood to force the clutch 'engaged'. The system did 'try' to cool. I then reread instructions and saw that the refrigerant pressure at the LP top-up point was too HIGH (over 60psi). I simply let some out with the clutch engaged engine running and max AC, down to around 45psi. Hey presto, it seems the AC works again. Need to test it on a journey to make sure, but it seems that the refrigerant pressure was originally too LOW< then i made it too HIGH, and then back to 'just right'. Glad it was not bad sensors, switches, orifice, leaks , compressor etc. Hope it helps someone.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Nice catch, for that pressurization, if too high - will blow out the needle valve used for the expansion and kill the AC - even damage the engine if ignored. Compressor kicking in and out - that action takes a lot out of the drive serpentine belt.