Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Engine oil change and filter inspection

S

Sekred

I changed the engine oil and filter on my Fist the other day, at 1200kms.
When I took delivering of the vehicle I spoke to the service manager about when the first recommended service was due. He told me that a basic service was due after 1 month or 3000kms. They do not change the engine oil at this service unless requested and the first oil change is due at 12 months or 15000kms. Well there was no way I was going to follow that advice.

To get on with the story I changed the oil and cut open the filter to inspect for contamination.
Here are the images I took and a neat trick to see what is inside the filter.

Filter cut open ready for inspection
View attachment 228

A section of the filter paper cut from the element.
View attachment 229

Filter paper stretched out, as you will note, its very hard to see anything
View attachment 230

Now the trick, place filter paper in a vice and compress, squeeze HARD to force as much oil as you can out of the paper. soak it all up with a rag
View attachment 231

Now have a look at the difference.
View attachment 232

Close ups
View attachment 233

View attachment 234

I am very pleased with what I found or did not find more to the point. This is what I would term a normal result with hardy any dirt, metallic or non metallic contaminates .

OP
S

Sekred

Thread Starter #5
Castrol Edge, 5w-30 synthetic.
Ford Australia recommends Castrol, not the reason I am using its by the way.
There are plenty of good oils on the market, so it usually comes down to personnel choice. I would recommend a full synthetic for any turbocharged engine.
Pennzoil Ultra is supposed to be pretty good but its not available in Australia.

OP
Y

YIN

Thread Starter #6
Castrol Edge, 5w-30 synthetic.
Ford Australia recommends Castrol, not the reason I am using its by the way.
There are plenty of good oils on the market, so it usually comes down to personnel choice. I would recommend a full synthetic for any turbocharged engine.
Pennzoil Ultra is supposed to be pretty good but its not available in Australia.
Ford Canada use Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend. Not very good, but I have one free oil change from dealer. After that I will go for other synthetic oil. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wheelhopper

Thread Starter #7
I do my oil changes at 5K miles, even the first, and never had any problems. I did this with my 2013 Escape with the 2.0 Turbo. At the second change, 10K miles, I sent a sample to Blackstone and they said that my sample was better than most cars they see at this point. I do use a full synthetic and stick with the factory weight recommendations.