Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Engine cuts out when idle and rev's problem

City
Middlesbrough
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4
Hi guys,

For the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing some intermittent issues. I presume the problems are related.

Firstly, the car will start first time every time but occasionally when I arrive at a junction or slow down for traffic lights and lower the gears, the engine will cut out. It doesn't always happen and it will start again first time.

Secondly, when I accelerate the revs go up but the car won't get power straight away. Again, I don't notice this all the time but it happens more often that the engine cutting out.

Any advice or theories please?

Car Spec:

2007 Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate. 1.4L Manual transmission

Thanks!

J.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Not familiar with that engine. They weren't sold in the US. A wild guess: Fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter?

OP
J
City
Middlesbrough
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, that's something to look into. I didn't realise this model was Europe only.

Thanks again,

J.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would concur with Econoboxrocks. Sounds like fuel starvation or some issue with the pump driver. If you don't have any warning lights pop on when this occurs, i would guess that it is much more likely to be a pump issue.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Yeah, it's an old car. Fuel pumps wear out, eventually. I had that issue on an old Datsun back in the early 80s. $25 and 10 minutes, and it ran like new. Probably much more complex on a 2007, but it shouldn't break the bank.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Yup. Fuel pumps in America are roughly $185 to $400 plus labor. I would have to wonder what the MoT is on a 2007 Fiesta? Perhaps jrobinson15 could shed some light on what that could entail to keep an over ten year old Fiesta legal for daily use in the U.K.?
A couple of my past co workers from the U.K. described a situation where the best solution was to drive the car to the wrecking yard. They were not smiling about it. They were bitter about having to junk a very usable car.

OP
J
City
Middlesbrough
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Thank you for your replies, I'll look into having the fuel pump checked over. If it's straight forward and not too time consuming, I'll sort it myself. MOTS are annual 54(or there about) point safety check. They are not interesting in any warning lights, just the safety aspects of the car. They'll check the lights, brakes, tyres, chassis etc. for any problems. They'll then contact you to tell you if it has passed or failed. They'll usually just remedy minor issues, light bulbs replacing etc. It's up to you if you want to fix the car or not but you'll need to fix all issues and go for a retest if you get your MOT certificate so you can drive it legally. You can fix it yourself or let the garage take car of it. I've never had a fail and then had to scrap it.