Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Egr valve removal

Marcle84

City
Ledbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta econetic
Hi all

I am trying to remove my EGR valve I have got to it and jave removed two bolts out the back and it is loose.

I have removed the hose clip from the EGR pipe but this pipe and the valve are seized together. Tried leaving wd40 to soak in but cannot get it to budge at all. Hit it with a rubber mallet couple of times too

Thanks in advance

Matt

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
EGR valves are notorious for seizing. WD-40 has water in it...go figure...so I use TriFlow or you can get good penetrating oil at a parts store. Use a lot....wait...use more...wait...then try tightening it a bit, then try to loosen. More lube. Back and forth until it let's go.

OP
M

Marcle84

City
Ledbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta econetic
Thread Starter #3
Thanks it's more the fact I can't get the valve off the pipe at all so it's stuck insitu. I will perhaps spraying what you suggested where it joins the pipe and see if that looses whatever has seized it together. Thanks for your reply

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
TriFlow is very good stuff. Im not sure if it's sold in the U.K. I have been using Kroil or PB Blaster. I know that Kroil is available in the U.K. I understand that it is quite popular with vintage aircraft mechanics.

OP
M

Marcle84

City
Ledbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta econetic
Thread Starter #6
Time to bust out the MAPP gas.
If it's that stuck it'll be staying on and I'll just remove the motor and spray cleaner through the top. Car has quite a few problems ABS module needs replacing as well. Got some PB blast on order arriving tomorrow

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
I've had to clean many intakes out with a torch and a pick, EGR passages can be a pain to clear. I've never had much trouble getting the valves off though. Mostly GM products for me, the 60 degree V6 is notorious for EGR problems.

OP
M

Marcle84

City
Ledbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta econetic
Thread Starter #8
Will have another look today maybe I am missing something that is still attached. The valve is loose and wobbling and as far as I can see it's just stuck to the EGR pipe. I've removed a collar off the pipe that attaches the two together but maybe there is something else holding it in place

OP
M

Marcle84

City
Ledbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta econetic
Thread Starter #9
Nope wasn't moving at all so took the motor off the top of the EGR and sprayed some cleaner in and played around with the pin until it became free to move - took a while but put it back together and fault code is now gone 👍 - onto the next issue

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Nope wasn't moving at all so took the motor off the top of the EGR and sprayed some cleaner in and played around with the pin until it became free to move - took a while but put it back together and fault code is now gone 👍 - onto the next issue
10201000913382507.jpg