Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Drum brake retaining screws solid

City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2014 fiesta 1.0 ecoboost titanium
Just tried to check my rear drum brakes out but the retaining screws are rock solid, can’t get them to budge at all. Tried wd40 and taping with a hammer but they are not playing ball. Anyone had this before or have an idea how to free them up? 😡 Thanks

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Best bet at this point is to drill the heads off and forget about them. They dont really serve a purpose once the wheels are mounted and torqued.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Best bet at this point is to drill the heads off and forget about them. They dont really serve a purpose once the wheels are mounted and torqued.
Mmmm I was trying to avoid that. I thought maybe heat might be worth a try as well?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1682647390603.png

The above is a clip off a vid showing they use a Impact driver and Torx 40 bit to smack the heads to ring them loose.

Now, once off, do you need them back on? To me it's a personal choice.

But on my 2018 Fiesta, I didn't have the issue - and have left them off so I can pull the drum and tip it over to remove the brake dust and inspect the system on a regular basis when I need to rotate the tires at or around every oil change as time permits.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6

The above is a clip off a vid showing they use a Impact driver and Torx 40 bit to smack the heads to ring them loose.

Now, once off, do you need them back on? To me it's a personal choice.

But on my 2018 Fiesta, I didn't have the issue - and have left them off so I can pull the drum and tip it over to remove the brake dust and inspect the system on a regular basis when I need to rotate the tires at or around every oil change as time permits.
Never seen a manual impact driver before. I tried a makita one but it didn’t budge.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
I like the combination of heat and an impact driver set motivated by a 4 pound hammer.
Then apply some anti seize compound to the thread and pan of the retaining bolts when reassembling it.
I’ll give it a go ta.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I’ll give it a go ta.
If your Fiesta has spent much time along the coastline the brake drums might put up a fight in removal as well. That four pound hammer was useful for separating the drum from the hub face of the axle.

OP
O
City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
If your Fiesta has spent much time along the coastline the brake drums might put up a fight in removal as well. That four pound hammer was useful for separating the drum from the hub face of the axle.
We only got it last week so no idea where it has spent its life but either way, looking at the state of the drums, I definitely think it’ll need some not so gentle persuasion with a hammer 😀

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
If you are going to remove the brake drums for inspection, that is a good time to go ahead and adjust the parking brake mechanism. My 2011 is due for inspection and adjustment at the very least before The summer gets underway.

OP
O

Outcycling

City
HINDHEAD
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
Well I’m pleased to say that the impact driver worked a treat! Yay. Many thanks all. Unfortunately the rear drums are very badly pitted and must be replaced :( next job.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Great! And if you never have need of it again for it’s original purpose, it will make an outstanding self defense weapon or a lethal blunt force instrument if secured to some rope!
Otherwise, it’s just a nice tool for breaking seized fasteners free.