Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Driver’s seat change

Nikork

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta
Hello Fiesta experts,

Ford Fiesta
1.6T EcoBoost ST-3

I bought this car last week and am generally very pleased with it. The only issues is the driver’s seat. It has the sporty seats that are pretty firm. I am 6’4 and they’re just not comfortable for doing more than 50 miles.
How difficult and expensive is it to switch the seat to a standard fiesta seat or something else like a mondeo or even a merc seat?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The Recaro seat option was a love it or hate it proposition. Generally if you hated it you kept on looking for a base seat equipped FiST. If I were in your situation, I would just go find a pair of standard Fiesta front seats and remove, plastic wrap and store those Recaros somewhere dry and cool. They were an over $1,900 option here in the States and are in high demand by the people who fit into them.
I imagine that you would not have much trouble getting a pair of ST line seats, which are same as standard seats only with better upholstery.
If you decide to sell the Recaros then also sell the rear seats with them. That upgrade is pretty desirable and worth it

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Not as easy as it looks.

I drive various vehicles as part of the job I have, and I can attest to the facts of -

Not all cars are made the same - nor does one size fit all.

You're not alone in this.

But you'll find the Fiestas' floor pan plan is different and makes it unique to the type of car it is.

It's shallower in depth than a typical car even like a Focus or mid-size sedans - the Floor pan being shallower is what makes longer legs and lumbar comfort a trial of determination.

So to answer the question - you have to make choices and none of them are easy or good.

You only have so much room and roof to floor height clearance to work with - this may put you in another vehicle that makes the ride more comfortable.

Swapping seats might help some with lumbar and the thigh - but overall - the main discomfort will be with the floor to pedal angle your foot and legs will rest and work with.

To be honest, the lack of height to allow for a higher seat is where the problem is- else lower the floor pan, and that's not possible - at least not without serious reworks.

As of this time, I have no answers except to say that the Fiestas' floor pan depth is much of what the ride and comfort problem lies.

To help and it's not much, is to raise the seat - but that requires spacers and also some compromise in tilt or recline and the overall ability to reach controls and also able to find a comfortable setting for the steering wheel without loss of control and reach of the dash.

To change the seat the swap requires also a means to rewire that seat to fit your wiring and floor pan bolt pattern - Fiesta have in-seat airbag support and a seat occupancy sensor.