Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Door Open Sign is "On" even though all doors are closed

EricL

City
Oakville
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta
Hi there,

I just started driving Ford Fiesta 2019 these days, I noticed this afternoon that "Door Is Open" sign was shown on the panel, I stopped the car, had a double check of all doors, all 4 doors were closely firmly, I had a quick look at the the manual, I didn't find any explanation about it.
Just would like to know is there anyone got the same issue before? How to turn that "Door Is Open" sign off?

Thanks !

Eric

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmm.

Had this when I first got mine.

If yours is KEY to start, I've found myself on the first few tries to accidentally open the hatchback trunk when turning all the way to start.

Might want to check your trunk/Hatch and also look at your SYNC display - if it says the "Trunk" is open it will say that, if "Hood" is open it will say that - it identifies the 2 oddball locations as Hood and Trunk - but Doors? Yeppers, you'll have to go to each one and locate the fault.

In some instances it is obvious once doors are all closed using normal pressure to do this, then you can see which one is still slightly ajar, then you may need to take it to the dealer and have them re-align that door panel and hinges so it closes correctly.

The Proximity and latch sensors used today are pretty tight in tolerance so a door closed, but still showing ajar may simply be that, the hinges or strike plate needs to be repositioned so it closes correctly to the sensor location - doesn't mean it's right, but they use "cutouts" for the sensors - so they always go in one way and work only when in proximity and are part of the door assembly. So if the sensor is goofy, that is one issue, a door loose on it's hinges is another.

OP
E

EricL

City
Oakville
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Hmm.

Had this when I first got mine.

If yours is KEY to start, I've found myself on the first few tries to accidentally open the hatchback trunk when turning all the way to start.

Might want to check your trunk/Hatch and also look at your SYNC display - if it says the "Trunk" is open it will say that, if "Hood" is open it will say that - it identifies the 2 oddball locations as Hood and Trunk - but Doors? Yeppers, you'll have to go to each one and locate the fault.

In some instances it is obvious once doors are all closed using normal pressure to do this, then you can see which one is still slightly ajar, then you may need to take it to the dealer and have them re-align that door panel and hinges so it closes correctly.

The Proximity and latch sensors used today are pretty tight in tolerance so a door closed, but still showing ajar may simply be that, the hinges or strike plate needs to be repositioned so it closes correctly to the sensor location - doesn't mean it's right, but they use "cutouts" for the sensors - so they always go in one way and work only when in proximity and are part of the door assembly. So if the sensor is goofy, that is one issue, a door loose on it's hinges is another.

Thanks for your reply....
I found out the issue and you know what, the passenger side door somehow has to be closed in a very firmly way, otherwise, "Door Is Open" is on....oh my gosh, this is a Ford 2019 car, pretty new, but somehow, the sensor from that door is not sensitive at all.....
Now I know I have to find a proper person to sit in front besides driver each time, he/she has to close the door in a proper way to avoid Door Is Open signal...

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Keep us posted on this.

IT may be a simple "strike plate" to door latch adjustment.

OR a Pin to Index hole alignment keeping the door from closing all the way.

Look at your rear doors - you see these forks and holes...
1659233964239.png

Knowing some issues, I had with my 2019 from the 1st day I owned it - you would think the "dealership" would take ownership of the issues as part of Ford's outreach program. But, not all cases - even in mine - even when they've produced documents, they say the problem is resolved, only later to find out thru my own "audit" their work orders also disappear from their records for service as in a non-repeating return quality issue.

To me that signals a serious responsibility problem - so if they aren't going to take the ball and run (fix your problem) then hold onto any and all your paperwork for there are known issues of unscrupulous dealers and repair shops not working and standing behind their work as promised.

Last edited: